Gibson Brands Forums

Where did I go wrong

Mickthemiller

I bought a J45 a couple of days ago and it arrived today.It's a 2016 model and firstly I have to say it has a beautiful sunburst in a sort of tobacco finish. So why was I disappointed? Well the first thing I noticed was that the nut was not as wide a the neck, it had a space either side.Next I noticed the b string seemed out of line (a smaller space between the e and the b than there was between the b and the g). I moved it into a better position but I fear when playing it would slip back.Next the fret board. It looked like the finish had been sprayed on it and a poor attempt had been made to get it off. I have guitars costing 1/8 the price that have better finishes and attention to detail. This guitar was ....... I want to use a sh..... word but will refrain.I have saved for this guitar for some time and have recently been left some money by my mum who died aged 99 a few weeks ago. I had already had a special truss rod cover made inscribed with her name as a tribute. Boy was I hissed off. I am so so disappointed with Gibson.

I must add that I have had a few Epiphones and they have all been better made (finish wise) than this J45 - It is of course going back from whence it came.

I'm sorry for this poor buying experience. :(

Will you try buying a different one later? Is there a guitar shop you can drive to within reasonable time and distance?

EDIT: I did some research. How about this one? Or is it perhaps the one you ordered from? http://www.dawsons.co.uk/guitars/acoustic-guitars/brand-gibson

Sorry about your mother.. Sorry too about the J-45 issues. I had a Southern Jumbo that had a couple of small grooves in the saddle that knocked the B/E string spacing off, drove me nuts too. Yep, sounds like one of those you need to return, other wise it will drive you batty with remorse. Hope you get a good replacement J-45.

I didn't take any photos - should have really but I wanted to get it back safely in the box. I have spoken to the shop and discussed maybe having a J15 instead. They will send me pictures first and have offered a setup to my requirements. Not sure what to do yet.

I don't want to name the supplier as they are being really ok with me - it was not Dawsons though

I've played several J45's over the past few years that my local store has got in. I've seen a difference between all of them. Some seem to have skipped QC, others play and sound amazing straight out of the box. I really would suggest if possible going to a store in person and trying a couple. I know it can be difficult to find a store that has more than one however.

I have a Southern Jumbo. That was the second one. The first has it's pick guard lifting on one corner. The second one was perfect.

The J15 is a nice guitar also. Different sound though from the J45. If you've got your heart set on a J45 I would say wait until you find 'the one'. You will not look back once you do.

See your in Yorkshire. Sheffield born and bred here, In Ontario Canada now.

One of the risks of buying any guitar sight unseen I am afraid.

If this is a new instrument, it would sound like a manufacturing defect and thus a warranty issue. As I generally have any new to me guitar set up and often replace the nut hoping to squeeze even a smidgeon of extra string spacing I automatically calculate the added expense in from the get go. The overspray on the board might just require a bit of steel wool. Don't know without the guitar sitting in front of me. I would think though it comes down to what is the easiest path to take - return or repair.

If this is a new instrument, it would sound like a manufacturing defect and thus a warranty issue. As I generally have any new to me guitar set up and often replace the nut hoping to squeeze even a smidgeon of extra string spacing I automatically calculate the added expense in from the get go. The overspray on the board might just require a bit of steel wool. Don't know without the guitar sitting in front of me. I would think though it comes down to what is the easiest path to take - return or repair.

Exactly.

Since you're in the UK, presumably without a huge selection to choose from, it might be worth seeing if the dealer will replace the nut and clean up the fretboard, if the guitar is otherwise a good one.

I've never run into a problem like this, but I've also never bought a brand-new Gibson

Hi, sorry about the loss of your Mom and that you didn't receive what was expected ...here's a slightly edited post I wrote on this forum: ( I think that the store should have returned this guitar before selling it and fisrt of all, Gibson should never put defective instruments on the market.)

... went to a big music store just to try some acoustics and doing that, helping a young man to buy his first acoustic with not more than $300.00 to spend. I own a nice and very good sounding Songwriter Deluxe Studio EC with ebony bridge and fingerboard, a DX1E Martin and a Takamine 12 strings so I was not there to buy. When helping this young man, I tried a lot of guitars telling him what to consider even buying a low price one. Gibsons: there were three J-45 two with traces of glue at the base of the bridge !!! and sounding...well...not acording to my taste. The only Gibs I found sounding good were a SJ-200 standard and a Songwriter Deluxe Studio , most of Taylors were good and some Martins too. After trying Epiphones models, and some other cheap ones I finally found a Yamaha model at $253.00 with solid spruce top easy to play well balanced and sounding very good. So I told the guy to listen to the sounds of some very priced guitars and compare. Finally he bought the Yamaha and was very gratefull. I discussed with the store owner about these Gibson models with traces of glue at the base of the bridge and he told me that there are some communications problems at Gibson factory and that some people are observing some declining quality in some of their products...open to discussions...don't know if the guy is right at some point...

I take all the points made but I am left with a feeling akin to the emporer's new suit. I have only ever owned one other Gibson - a Les Paul - and that was not up to my expectations either. I have had a few guitars of various makes including a Martin and a few Epiphones and have only been disappointed twice. One was a Recording King and the other was a £100 cheapo 12 string. I somehow expected a Gibson acoustic to be near top class. I bought a Harley Benson all solid acoustic for £230 a few months ago and it is a killer and well made and well finished. Anyway I'm not giving up, I've bought a J15 from Germany. I'm determined to get a Gibson acoustic to put that truss rod cover on!!!

Hi and welcome to the forums....sorry to hear of your personal loss....

Guitar-wise no doubt your supplier will look after you... [thumbup]

IMO thousands of purchasers run the risk daily ordering expensive guitars etc over the web-net...often hoping for the lowest price on the planet... :blink:

Acoustics in particular are subject to temp/humidity issues and ongoing changes to their multiple wood components

So a glitch or two when delivered new may fade with time after a set-up or several...

Many 'cheap' mass produced guitars can seem to be 'better made' due to standardised bulk assembly techniques

There is luck involved too.... :blink:

My most stable guitar from new has been a quite cheap oriental build (rhymes with Guild)

Major work required on a USA made Taylor after 12 months from new....

V (Barnsley lad)

:-({|=

I It looked like the finish had been sprayed on it and a poor attempt had been made to get it off. I have guitars costing 1/8 the price that have better finishes and attention to detail.

I must add that I have had a few Epiphones and they have all been better made (finish wise) than this J45 - It is of course going back from whence it came.

I somehow expected a Gibson acoustic to be near top class. I bought a Harley Benson all solid acoustic for £230 a few months ago and it is a killer and well made and well finished.

I think part of it is the criteria you are using to judge the guitars.

In my experience, the difference between a good guitar and a great guitar is sound and how it plays. First think I judge when picking up a guitar is how it feels, plays, and sounds. I don't look for flaws in the finish or things you have to look closely to see. Appearance to me is how the thing looks, like color and such.

Mail ordering acoustics is even harder, because there will be so much variables between one guitar and another, particular in how it sounds and reacts to playing.

So, to ME, while I think a badly cut nut or bridge is an obvious defect that would need to be fixed, if the guitar was a great one I would rather change those for cheap, rather than get one that didn't play or sound great because you CAN'T change that as easily.

Said all that to say, one man's gem is another's reject. So if buying online where YOU can't judge the guitar, you need to be able to communicate YOUR needs and wants so they know what to send to you.

Sorry for your personal loss. The truss rod cover is a great idea.

Just so you know. Gibson uses standard cut fret nuts and you mentioned your guitar's nut was a bit small as well as lose on the guitar. It kinda' sounds like maybe a repair tech at the place you purchased the guitar may have cut the nut to low when setting it up and just replaced it with one they had in stock. Gibson typically puts a spot of glue on the fret nut and the ends of the nut will have finish on them as well. That would hold the factory nut in place and it would not move on the guitar.

This is not uncommon and maybe we are rushing to judgment on this one. Gibson could be the culprit but there might be another explanation as well.

Sorry for your bad experience and hope that you get a better guitar next time.

A photo of the problems would have been a big help but no one is faulting you for this mess.

Welcome to the Forum and please continue to keep us in the loop on your search for the ultimate guitar.

I didn't take any photos - should have really but I wanted to get it back safely in the box. I have spoken to the shop and discussed maybe having a J15 instead. They will send me pictures first and have offered a setup to my requirements. Not sure what to do yet.

I don't want to name the supplier as they are being really ok with me - it was not Dawsons though

I would ask for a J45 replacement. Won't cost you much to ask for a replacement i guess, the J45 seems to be what you wanted...

Many are fond of their J45 here and i guess there is a reason for it, so all you need is to find THE ONE :)

But how does it sound, that is the key question ?

If its a ripper and then there are a few cosmetic and technical questions that need addressing, then address them - you get that with Gibson.

But if it sounds shite and is put together shite then send it back.

Maybe the theory of keeping the good stuff in the US and sending the rubbish to Europe has some merit. Although I did buy a few Gibsons in Europe, new, and they all have been faultless.

I get what some are saying about tone feel etc and that they are the main things and that bridge saddles and nuts can be replaced easily. I have done some quite major setups on some guitars - fret leveling and crowning etc. But there are times when you feel things should be better from the get go. This guitar has its merits but I just don't want to give it that chance. It's a bit like the shirt or jeans that don't feel quite comfy but you go with them and then they stay in the wardrode (closet) never worn.

I had a similar experience with a J 200. I believed the Hype, I saw Cat STevens, Dylan, Harrison, Townsend.. all playing them. When I got my J 200. You could see the where the glue was slopped where the neck was glued to the body. But I could over look that, if the guitar did not sound like SH*!. I had a buddy of mine over, just to play it and just to check to see if I wasnt going nuts, He agreed. I sold it and took a little bit of a hit, and now have a 2015 Trans black J 200, and all is right with the world. The guy who bought it was happy with it and I told him I would take it back after he played it figuring I was stuck, but he loved it. Go figure.

I guess you gotta try again. It does make you scratch your head though how some of this stuff can get past quality control, but hey, were all human. Mistakes are Mistakes and Lemons are Lemons.

I get what some are saying about tone feel etc and that they are the main things and that bridge saddles and nuts can be replaced easily. I have done some quite major setups on some guitars - fret leveling and crowning etc. But there are times when you feel things should be better from the get go. This guitar has its merits but I just don't want to give it that chance. It's a bit like the shirt or jeans that don't feel quite comfy but you go with them and then they stay in the wardrode (closet) never worn.

I understand that, and sorry for your loss.

But the technical term for the J45 is 'squashed nut'......eeek...eek.yi yi yi....

The Guitar Fairies got to it!

Next - J15 is to be the great one!

BluesKing777.

You did the right thing returning it. It's either an issue for Gibson or the store you purchased it from. Was it shipped directly from Gibson, or was it part of the store's inventory?........I've never had the issues mentioned here with Gibson or any other guitars I currently own. While I don't look for glue on the inside, I'd notice it on the outside. The "nut" problem sounds like something was altered on the guitar before you got it. ....Jeremy might be able to give some insight on this........I hope you find the guitar you need. The J15s are great guitars, but if your heart is set on a J45 that's what you should aim for. Or get both.

Archived