Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson J45

Mickthemiller

I bought a J45 - the real dealSuffice to say I was dissappointed - something I have never felt with a new EpiphoneI wont repeat myself here but take a look at my post in the Gibson acoustic board

Sorry to hear you're disappointed Mick. Hopefully you can replace it with something worthy. The J45 used to be my holy grail (probably because I'm a big Weller fan) but I'm ignoring headstocks these days and using my ears and there are a load of guitars out there that sound great to me. When I play high end guitars I can appreciate the quality and difference in tone and asthetics but don't think a J45 sounds 10 times better than an Epiphone that costs a 10th of the price.

Sorry to read about your loss too mate; lovely idea for the truss rod cover [thumbup] .

Dodger

I bought a J45 - the real dealSuffice to say I was dissappointed - something I have never felt with a new EpiphoneI wont repeat myself here but take a look at my post in the Gibson acoustic board

First and foremost condolences for your loss. I love the truss rod cover idea, that's a proper tribute.

Now, I'm really gutted for you mate. I followed your "J-15 or J-45" thread in the Gibson forum with much interest and no little amusement, as it's a game I play with myself on a regular basis (pure fantasy obviously, even if I had that amount of cash I couldn't justify spending it on a guitar). I know how much you wanted that guitar, jeez I wanted you to get it and I'm so disappointed that you're disappointed. Really doesn't say much for the quality control at Gibson or at the store you ordered it from, especially as I keep reading how much better American made guitars are than all the Asian built instruments that I own and that's why they cost so much more.

Of course Dodger's right, we really shouldn't look at the name on the headstock but we do. There are still kudos to be had with the "right" guitar and I'm as guilty as everyone else, my dream guitar alternates between a J-15 a J-45 and, occasionally, a D-28.

Wish you the best of luck whatever you decide, be it another J-45, a J-15 or something else entirely and whatever it is I'm sure it will be a fitting tribute to your Mums memory.

Sorry to hear about your issue Mick. I played a really good J-15 last night at GC that had actually been set up well with low action, and it made a big difference in the tone. I love the look of the walnut, and the way they used it all over rather than mixing woods. Great thumper. I hope your new one is made to a better standard than the J-45 was. I hope you get to use your truss cover soon. Blessing and grace be to you.

I took back the j45 and I have ordered a j15 so that, if it is ok will get the truss rod cover awarded to it. Also Cliff if you are looking, I have ordered a Recording King RAJ 27 all solid rosewood back and sides spruce top sunburst 24.75" scale. Really a j45 in all but name. I just came across it on ebay, as if it was waiting for me. Anyway next week we will see what the two of them are like. Sorry had to edit this it is a raj 27 I put 26 in there first time round woops!!! The 26 is mahogany I think

I took back the j45 and I have ordered a j15 so that, if it is ok will get the truss rod cover awarded to it. Also Cliff if you are looking, I have ordered a Recording King RAJ 26 all solid rosewood back and sides spruce top sunburst 24.75" scale. Really a j45 in all but name. I just came across it on ebay, as if it was waiting for me. Anyway next week we will see what the two of them are like.

I wish I could have gotten hold of an RAJ-126 but it was impossible to find one where I live, let alone a left-handed model. They are difficult to get outside the States. However, I couldn't be happier with the Texan I got instead in the end.

Now that's one mighty fine collection of short scale slope shoulders you're going to have there. [thumbup]

The aj-45me with mahogany b&s, the RK in rosewood and the walnut j-15!

Jealous? Me? Hell yes [biggrin]

If they all play as well as they should I 'll be jealous of myself [confused] Every day would be like Christmas

I'm waiting for Cliff's "I've been tellin' ya for ages" response.

If they all play as well as they should I 'll be jealous of myself [confused] Every day would be like Christmas

I'm waiting for Cliff's "I've been tellin' ya for ages" response.

I'm glad you got an RAJ-27 and I look forward to hearing your thoughts on it. The discontinued RAJ models with the bound headstocks and original RK inlay work are super hard to find. In fact, I got my RAJ-122 because I was unable to find the RAJ-26 I so much wanted at the time. Congrats on the great find! If, like me, you don't dig RK's pickguard shapes, then just know they're exceedingly easy to remove and replace with a properly old school looking one. I think you're gonna be blown away by the looks, sound and feel (after a proper setup of course).

Regarding the Gibson...people get really testy with me when I post that they're not really better than Epiphones...or at least not enough better to justify the enormous price difference. I'm not surprised by your disappointment.

I'm glad you got an RAJ-27 and I look forward to hearing your thoughts on it. The discontinued RAJ models with the bound headstocks and original RK inlay work are super hard to find. In fact, I got my RAJ-122 because I was unable to find the RAJ-26 I so much wanted at the time. Congrats on the great find! If, like me, you don't dig RK's pickguard shapes, then just know they're exceedingly easy to remove and replace with a properly old school looking one. I think you're gonna be blown away by the looks, sound and feel (after a proper setup of course).

Regarding the Gibson...people get really testy with me when I post that they're not really better than Epiphones...or at least not enough better to justify the enormous price difference. I'm not surprised by your disappointment.

Cliff - glad you've spotted the post. I was so disappointed about the J45 I sort of rushed into getting a J15 (as I said I have a truss rod cover for a Gibson with my mum's name on it) - we'll see how that turns out later this week or early next. The Recording King just jumped out at me that very same day as I was trawling the net just looking at guitars and bemoaning my luck. I found it (no, correction, it found me) on the Fellowship of Acoustics site, they have some nice pictures to look at and a Youtube channel. I think I mentioned the youtube channel in a post some time ago. I was on about the 3rd or 4th page of their guitars for sale and there it was just staring back at me. I thought "this is meant to be man, grab it". So I did! They are as rare as the proverbial rocking horse doo daa over here, in fact I have never seen another for sale. I look forward to telling you all about it when it gets here. The Fellowship of Acoustics have it listed as "new" so it must be old stock

I had always wanted a J-45 and I found a nice one and traded in my wonderfull Masterbuilt in on it. Well less than a year later it started to get small cracks on the top and bottom of the back. I was so disappointed and I sold it. I bought an 88 Martin D-16A and it is a booming great tone Martin. I still have my trusty Dove that I bought new in 2008 and still looks new. I will get another Masterbuilt because you can't beat the value and quality of a fine high end Epiphone.

I know this is out of line on this Epiphone board so I will be brief. The Recording King RAJ27 arrived today. A very nice guitar indeed. Sort of J45 spec with short scale but more AJ looking? Has a rosewood back and sides nice spuce top. All solid. One piece mahogany neck. Says in spec it has a nitro finish but I don't think RK nitro is done like Gibson nitro. The guitar feels very nice to play. You sort of know when you pick em up if you are going to gel and this one feels comfy, like an old pair of jeans. Plays like butter, well set up out the box. The frets are very well dressed with no hint of sharp ends. It has a couple of flaws. There is a tiny crack in the finish (about a quarter inch) at the bass top side of the sound hole, near end of neck, it takes some seeing but if you look close it's there. There is also a slight flaw in the burst on the lower treble bout, looks a bit like some of the inner burst has not quite gone on right. More like a hand rubbed burst than a sprayed one. It is obviously a NOS as they haven't made them for years and now doubt it was a second or B stock due to the sunburst and maybe the crack in the finish, although there is no indication on the label or anything. No matter though. It has a lovely mellow tone. A bit louder than the AJ-45ME and maybe a bit more bell like. Thing is it just feels so nice to play.. It is better than the Texan and in my opinion better than the AJ500 I had. I find i do like short scale guitars. They seem to be easier to play and suit me better. I am pleased it found it and now I'm looking forward to the Gibson J15 arriving.

I know this is out of line on this Epiphone board so I will be brief. The Recording King RAJ27 arrived today. A very nice guitar indeed. Sort of J45 spec with short scale but more AJ looking? Has a rosewood back and sides nice spuce top. All solid. One piece mahogany neck. Says in spec it has a nitro finish but I don't think RK nitro is done like Gibson nitro. The guitar feels very nice to play. You sort of know when you pick em up if you are going to gel and this one feels comfy, like an old pair of jeans. Plays like butter, well set up out the box. The frets are very well dressed with no hint of sharp ends. It has a couple of flaws. There is a tiny crack in the finish (about a quarter inch) at the bass top side of the sound hole, near end of neck, it takes some seeing but if you look close it's there. There is also a slight flaw in the burst on the lower treble bout, looks a bit like some of the inner burst has not quite gone on right. More like a hand rubbed burst than a sprayed one. It is obviously a NOS as they haven't made them for years and now doubt it was a second or B stock due to the sunburst and maybe the crack in the finish, although there is no indication on the lable or anything. No matter though. It has a lovely mellow tone. A bit louder than the AJ-45ME and maybe a bit more bell like. Thing is it just feels so nice to play.. It is better than the Texan and in my opinion better than the AJ500 I had. I find i do like short scale guitars. They seem to be easier to play and suit me better. I am pleased it found it and now I'm looking forward to the Gibson J15 arriving.

Awesome!

I know this is out of line on this Epiphone board so I will be brief. The Recording King RAJ27 arrived today. A very nice guitar indeed. Sort of J45 spec with short scale but more AJ looking? Has a rosewood back and sides nice spuce top. All solid. One piece mahogany neck. Says in spec it has a nitro finish but I don't think RK nitro is done like Gibson nitro. The guitar feels very nice to play. You sort of know when you pick em up if you are going to gel and this one feels comfy, like an old pair of jeans. Plays like butter, well set up out the box. The frets are very well dressed with no hint of sharp ends. It has a couple of flaws. There is a tiny crack in the finish (about a quarter inch) at the bass top side of the sound hole, near end of neck, it takes some seeing but if you look close it's there. There is also a slight flaw in the burst on the lower treble bout, looks a bit like some of the inner burst has not quite gone on right. More like a hand rubbed burst than a sprayed one. It is obviously a NOS as they haven't made them for years and now doubt it was a second or B stock due to the sunburst and maybe the crack in the finish, although there is no indication on the lable or anything. No matter though. It has a lovely mellow tone. A bit louder than the AJ-45ME and maybe a bit more bell like. Thing is it just feels so nice to play.. It is better than the Texan and in my opinion better than the AJ500 I had. I find i do like short scale guitars. They seem to be easier to play and suit me better. I am pleased it found it and now I'm looking forward to the Gibson J15 arriving.

Cool Mick - glad you like this one [thumbup] - had a scout round the net and that guitar is a real looker

Cool [thumbup]

That's one out of two, now fingers crossed for the J15.

Been looking round for a short scale slope shoulder myself, but there's nothing affordable that isn't overpriced laminate.

I know this is out of line on this Epiphone board so I will be brief. The Recording King RAJ27 arrived today...

Not out of line IMO.

Besides, my brand new Martin D-18 Ambertone arrived a few days ago and OMG...

The Epi won't see much playing time except for plugging in.

I am pleased it found it and now I'm looking forward to the Gibson J15 arriving.

Yes, I join in condolences for your J45 fiasco. Apparently that was an anomaly. Nevertheless, glad to hear you're liking the RK, and best wishes for the incoming J15. I think our guitar "philosophy" is changing all the time, or at least mine is. I still like all guitars, of course, but my "focus" has gone from electric, to acoustic, to acoustic-electric... now I'm drifting from mid-range to higher-end, and from 6 to 12-string, since I'm kind of liking how this last recording came out....

Both of those look KILLER! And there's no need to change out that RK pickguard at all. You even got one with a beautifully dark fretboard...holy cow you did well!!!!!!!!

And fantastic job on that Gibson truss rod cover. It looks so so so sooooo great!

Archived