Gibson Brands Forums

When your guitars fall silent

merciful-evans

This morbid thought has occurred to me a few times now.

My son will inherit everything of mine. Well, so far anyway.

When the time came I have had to clear my grandparents stuff out, my fathers, my mothers, then my partners. Most stuff goes to charity shops or the dump. Some stuff is shared among the family.

No one else in my family plays guitar.

I know someone who would appreciate a guitar, assuming he outlives me. What about the others? That fellow in OZ (in the Epi forum I think) gave away about a 100 of his guitars to schools. I thought that was a great idea, but he's still alive. I am wondering about when I'm gone. I would ideally like my guitars to go to guitarists. Especially those who are starting out and could do with something half decent to play.

Unless I formulate some plan, they will be disposed of by the easiest & quickest means. That's what happens with bereavements in my experience.

I would be surprised if I'm alone feeling like this. What about some of you others? You cant take 'em with ya.

Well, one thing you could do, is state in your "will" what you want done, with your guitars.

Some to family (if applicable), other's to friends, or schools, etc. That's what I've done.

What they don't want, can be sold/auctioned off.

Maybe sell the ones you don't use, now! So, there's less for your family/estate to deal with,

when the time comes?

CB

When my first wife died in 2011 I went through a phase where I was selling off a lot of my stuff. I think I was going through so much turmoil going through her stuff that I swore I wouldn't make someone else do it with my stuff.

Pfft. I've got 5 times as many guitars now.

My father only had two guitars when he became ill, a 1981 Martin M-38 and a 1985 Gibson J-100. In 1994 he asked me which one I wanted. He gave me the Martin right then and there. He lived another 5 years but never did play again. He would have given the Gibson to my brother if my brother had shown any level of accountability and responsibility.

(I made the wrong choice by the way. The J-100 is upstairs at my mother's house and she prefers to keep it there.)

My youngest daughter wants the Martin because it was mine AND her grandfathers. Someday I may just hand it to her. I never play the damn thing. Plays like a Martin.

The rest of them...don't care. I've told them, I don't want them kept because "I owned them". Screw that, sell them and pay the light bill.

My kids both play music(drums and piano).

So I assume they will have some inkling of the their value. Or maybe they will pick them up some day and play, I don't know.

My wife knows(wish she didn't)they have value and my brother plays too.

So I'm too not worried about them falling into unknowing hands.

But,, when it comes right down to it I'll be dead so I really won't care less what happens to them.

I suppose if one was to be worried about it now is the time to make those arrangements.

Wife and I have a will. There is no mention of guitars in there.

They just fall into the "stuff" category.

It's not like I have any 50s LPs or anything. That would be whole different scenario.

I too have thought about this as well. My youngest daughter decided a couple of years ago that she wanted to learn to play so I bought her a "starter pack" and an online course. I'd like my nicest guitars to go to my family members, a few of whom play, but I want to specify who gets what (my fav's if you will, both in guitars AND family members LOL). Other than that, let those who outlast me decide what to do with them.

Several years ago, my ex brother in law, who played, was killed in a car accident. His Mom told me to "take whatever I wanted". He had some nice stuff, but I only took a Yamaha a/e. A few years ago, after not playing it for some time, I gave it to one of his younger sisters, who doesn't play, but wanted it as a momento and some nice "wall art".

I've also had the misfortune to be on the "what do I do with this stuff" end of the situation, and the only rule I lived by was "what would he/she have wanted to be done with this?". Worked for me at the time, and hopefully, it will work for those I leave behind as well.

What a great post,and no it's not morbid. No one in my family except me plays guitar. I have hopes one of my three grand daughters will want to learn when they get a little older. Having said that last year my wife asked what she should do with all my guitars and amps if I were to die before her because I was the only one who knows their worth. We are in our 60's and it was a legitimate question. After much deliberation I decided to start selling some of my stuff. 20 guitars is now 7 and 11 amps is now 7. I own no low end guitars and have 6 high end amps. So I made a document on my laptop of what I have left and how she should go about determining value and the best way to sell mt prized possessions. I will probably sell a few more amps and guitar over the next several years.

I've been thinning the collection down these last few years also by donating them directly to schools, offering them for charity to auction, and passing them on to kids who are deserving but under financial strain. By the time the end is near I expect to have at the very most two acoustics, and two electrics. As much as I love these highly personal instruments is as much as I love passing them on to kids who need them.

This subject has recently arisen in several different threads on the Gib and Epi Lounges.

Given my age and experiences of the past year, I'm increasingly aware of my own mortality as well.

I've given away two in the past month or so to a couple of 20-somethings I knew would appreciate them.

No kids, therefore no grandkids (a 23-year-old is young enough to be the latter).

My younger of two younger brothers (the one who's 28 years younger, not the one who just hit 65) likely will get his choice first when I croak, which I figure will be prior to my wife's passing. That brother is a picker, too, although never quite as nutty a picker as I've been

I had initially said I wanted my guitars and other musical instruments first broken, then burned in a big bonfire.

I said the reason is that in the old song "minstrel boy" I'll quote below. It hits well my perspective on the way the U.S. is headed, and the loss of the culture of the free.

My lady wife, however, said that's silly, regardless that she quite well understands, and that if I croak first, she'll do what she wishes with them, which is to give them to the local high school's music program.

So... I figure I'll give another couple of 'em away first.

BTW, the second I gave to a 20-something was a young lady I'd watched for years as local education reporter as she went from little kid to a poised young woman now heading the local high school's vocal music program. And I ensured she knew my story of initially asking the guitars all be destroyed, and the song "minstrel boy."

-0-0-0-0-

The minstrel boy to the war is gone,

In the ranks of death you'll find him;

His father's sword he has girded on,

And his wild harp slung behind him;

"Land of Song!" said the warrior bard,

"Though all the world betrays thee,

One sword, at least, thy rights shall guard,

One faithful harp shall praise thee!"

The Minstrel fell! But the foeman's chain

Could not bring his proud soul under;

The harp he loved ne'er spoke again,

For he tore its chords asunder;

And said "No chains shall sully thee,

Thou soul of love and bravery!

Thy songs were made for the pure and free

They shall never sound in slavery!"

I have my guitars detailed in my Last Will and Testament going to my brothers and my daughter.

That said, I hope to die playing guitar onstage with my band, at age 95 or so.

[mellow]

What he said.

No sir....you're not alone.

I haven't really thought too much about it. As of now, I only have 3 guitars. One of those, the R7, I inherited from my good friend after he died, so I feel a certain "responsibility" for that particular guitar. I guess, if I go before my wife, I'll just let her do with them what she wants. I have 3 sons, but none of them play or care about guitars.

I say sell them all before you die and give the money to your family. If they try and sell them, they will only be low balled by some Craigslist flake who will try to convince them that their "like new" Gibson 50's Les Paul Studio Deluxe with case and paperwork is only worth $300...oh, sorry, that was my flashback from last week.

Oh you're talking about if I die, right? I was thinking it was "if/when you go deaf, what will you do with the guitars" question. :rolleyes:

That's why I keep things in such good shape. I want all the items I owned, and used while alive (or still could hear [biggrin] ) could be investments and prob. get what I paid for them back out for the most part. My wife & family can use the money to live with. I wouldn't mind if my son or friend wanted a guitar or two but only if they'd play it & respect it. Know the friend that's a player would do both, but he's smoked cigs for 45 yrs so that may not be an option. I did send him an Epi SG Custom Shop out of the blue and he just about dropped right then with that gift. Very appreciative of it and hear about it almost every time we talk on the phone.

Aster

I play in a praise team at my church. I have already told the wife that if I die, I want the rest of the praise team to play at my funeral, but I want them all to be playing my instruments. For some reason I think that would be cool. After that, I dont know what she'll do with them. I have two young sons who dont play. Maybe they will become inspired to startt learning.

A funny joke I heard about this topic; A guitar players worst nightmare is that when he dies, his wife sells all his guitars for what he told her he paid for them!

I have arthritis some in both hands, maybe playing helps loosen them up, times it hurts too much so I put them away. When I can't play anymore I will give them to my son. He only has one, I have four so he will enjoy them. I may keep one till I pass on. Maybe there will be days I can play. It seems to get worse in the cold.

1448690310[/url]' post='1716085']

I play in a praise team at my church. I have already told the wife that if I die, I want the rest of the praise team to play at my funeral, but I want them all to be playing my instruments. For some reason I think that would be cool. After that, I dont know what she'll do with them. I have two young sons who dont play. Maybe they will become inspired to startt learning.

A funny joke I heard about this topic; A guitar players worst nightmare is that when he dies, his wife sells all his guitars for what he told her he paid for them!

That's too funny. Now I'm guilty of that. "How much was that Gibson?" "I got it on sale and used, honey, it was only $1,000.00!" That's why my son is getting them, he was with me when I got them. msp_flapper.gif

Archived