Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar refret

Berserker82

Hi all, I'm relatively new to the guitar playing world and would love your input! I have a 71 gibson j40. I've had some work done to it and my luthier says it is in need of a refret, which will cost me $250.

I have been researching info about fret wear, particularly what are playing signs that worn frets are a problem. I play it and notice some things but aren't sure if its related to worn frets or my technique or something else. Soo...

What will I notice with worn frets as it pertains to needing a refret? And along the same lines, what should I notice after I get the refret complete? Benefits?

I've had a few refrets done. The only reason I would do it is that there are wear grooves in the frets that are causing me problems that are too deep to be be dressed down. I usually get my frets dressed down before they get too bad.

I'm not sure what kind of problems you are having to say what differences you will notice.

First of all, fret wear is normal and can be minimized through a soft fretting hand, but not eliminated. In particular bendings and buzz due to low string action eat up frets.

Take a close look at the fret crowns and check for wear. You may find more wear on some frets beneath some strings. This is where the problem starts. Were all the frets of a specific string worn about the same, there wouldn't be a problem except for a very subtle difference in intonation. However, frets worn much more and such significantly lower than others are the reason for the string's buzzing at the following fret of larger height.

Depending on degree and variation of wear there are two possible solutions. If there is basically enough height left in the frets worn the most, levelling all of them can do for a certain period, if not, the guitar calls for refretting.

Not always the entire fretboard will have to be refretted. In particular on acoustic guitars the upper frets may show more tarnish than wear, and there's no use in replacing them. According to my luthier, typically the lowest seven to nine frets have to be replaced and levelled to the height of the virtually unused, polished upper frets.

Hope this helps.

Like Dave F says.

You would typically dress the frets (file them down, evenly across the board)when they get grooves worn in so deeply the it becomes difficult to play cleanly. You would only re-fret once the frets have been dressed down so much (or grooves have worn so deeply) that the strings "fret out" on the board when you try to play, and either buzz or simply refuse to resonate.

It's not easy to explain clearly.

Also, without understanding exactly what problems you are having, it's hard to know if a re-fret will help. If you are new to playing, it may be a technique issue rather than a fret problem, depending on why your luthier says you need a re-fret.

Thanks. Yeah I had them dressed and luthier says next step is regret because they are so worn. It's playable but I have to press down really hard and I do hear a ringing/buzzing sound on higher strings. I feel like I have to be overly intentional with my finger placement on the strings when playing chords. It also seems like my finger tips are touching the fretboard when pressing down strings.

... I feel like I have to be overly intentional with my finger placement on the strings when playing chords. It also seems like my finger tips are touching the fretboard when pressing down strings.

There are guitar models where this is normal. All the Gibson electrics featuring the "fretless wonder" board, i. e. very low fret wire stock, play this way only. I have three of these, so I know what you talk about [biggrin]

It might be useful if you would post a photo of the fretboard near the nut, so we can get an idea of the type of frets and their condition. IF you need help posting photos, go to the "forum Feedback" sub-forum, and check the thread near the top of that which discusses how to post photos.

Thanks. Yeah I had them dressed and luthier says next step is regret because they are so worn. It's playable but I have to press down really hard and I do hear a ringing/buzzing sound on higher strings. I feel like I have to be overly intentional with my finger placement on the strings when playing chords. It also seems like my finger tips are touching the fretboard when pressing down strings.

If that's the case, I suggest you look into EVO fret wire. For a hard player, this fret wire can last a long time and is in the middle of the price spectrum between NS and Stainless wire.(I paid $300 for new EVO frets).

here are some pics Let me know if this helps. If not I can try to take better ones!

Yup...I'd say those frets are in need of replacing.

It's true you can go low on some frets, like a fretless wonder, but those frets are typically thinner. trying to dress wide frets like this and having them be so low...pretty hard to do.

So while a PROPER fret-dressing would not leave buzzing issues, I am not surprised if a competent luthier could not dress these good enough to eliminate it completely.

It's true you can go low on some frets, like a fretless wonder, but those frets are typically thinner. trying to dress wide frets like this and having them be so low...pretty hard to do.

So while a PROPER fret-dressing would not leave buzzing issues, I am not surprised if a competent luthier could not dress these good enough to eliminate it completely.

Posted Today, 01:10 PM

Yeah my luthier said he could barely dress them. He was also concerned about potential damage to the fretboard in time

I agree.

Yeah my luthier said he could barely dress them. He was also concerned about potential damage to the fretboard in time

He is definitely right. Dressing these frets would include the risks of either leaving sharp edges or marring the fretboard. Playing this guitar will wear the board timber with time, too.

Archived