Gibson Brands Forums

A bit too "soft" neck issue

Kenan

Yes..it sounds kinda absurd but..my Gibson LP 70s Tribute has quite a soft neck and it's a real joy to play. However, I have a fairly heavy hand and anytime I decide to play it with a bit more attack (riffs) I can hear the bass string buzzing. Now, the action is fine and during normal playing, there is no string buzz but as I said..kinda irks me as I'm not sure is this normal or not? Maybe I just have lumberjack hands (practicing judo might have something to do with it...)? I also have Epiphone LP Standard Plus Top Pro (both Lesters have hybrid 10-42 gauge) and the Epi, with the same same action has a lot more resiliant bass strings to my heavy strumming. However I try to set the neck/nut up on my Tribute, raise the action etc..it seems my Gibby is just way too "soft" for any heavier strumming? Is this how the this specific model is supposed to be? Once again, this is not a classic string buzz issue, when playing it "normally" everything is fine..I'm talking heavier attacks..anyone have a simmilar problem and possibly solution? Or is it just me?

Probably the Gibson neck is a bit harder than the Epiphone neck. This makes the guitar react stronger to string attack. At least a comparison of my Gibson and Epiphone Les Paul guitars with similar neck profiles shows this. The harder timbers used by Gibson allow for more dynamic range, and using it will call for increased string action. My Epiphone starts to compress earlier. Anyway, the Gibson SGs of mine with a very slim '61 neck profile react less than the Epi.

Hope this helps.

I know that shop that set up my acoustic (not Gibson brand) did so with the Low E bass side a bit higher on the nut and bridge to give the low E more space to vibrate and the low E side is lower.

maybe not set your bridge (and nut flat) but raise it a hair on the Low E side

The harder timbers used by Gibson allow for more dynamic range, and using it will call for increased string action. My Epiphone starts to compress earlier.

I noticed this as well..I can only hope this is the reason why it might be more sensitive. I really enjoy playing it and I can only hope this is not a "malfunction" on Gibbi's part. I use standard Gibson/Epiphone action (which is not low) as I have rough fingers and playing it still feels smooth and easy..so, the action is ok (as previously noted).

Eracer_Team, I tried everything. Whatever I do, it's just not as "resiliant" to heavy attacks as my Epiphone. This is not a "bash" this is just something I noticed. When you play it normally (chords, strumming, solos), there is no string buzz..but when you start doing heavier attacks, no matter what action height..the bass strings start buzzing a lot earlier then on my Epi. The neck though is fantastic..I raised the action very high (for testing purposes) and the guitar still feels relatively easy/soft to play. Now, I would never trade for anything, this is more of a curiosity thing. It can be solved by adjusting my playing style but I'm just wondering has anyone had a similar situation and is this actually a normal thing.

Yes..it sounds kinda absurd but..my Gibson LP 70s Tribute has quite a soft neck and it's a real joy to play. However, I have a fairly heavy hand and anytime I decide to play it with a bit more attack (riffs) I can hear the bass string buzzing. Once again, this is not a classic string buzz issue, when playing it "normally" everything is fine..I'm talking heavier attacks..anyone have a simmilar problem and possibly solution? Or is it just me?

Probably the Gibson neck is a bit harder than the Epiphone neck. This makes the guitar react stronger to string attack. At least a comparison of my Gibson and Epiphone Les Paul guitars with similar neck profiles shows this. The harder timbers used by Gibson allow for more dynamic range, and using it will call for increased string action. My Epiphone starts to compress earlier. Anyway, the Gibson SGs of mine with a very slim '61 neck profile react less than the Epi.

Hope this helps.

This is completely normal. In fact, I would say it's an example of why different players prefer different action.

ANY guitar will start to buzz on the frets once the strings are hit hard enough.

Also, different guitars vibrate differently...that's why they sound individual. Not necessarily harder vs softer wood, but for lots of reasons including that one.

But also, I might look again at the set-up. 2 identical guitars might have the same "measurement" of action at the 12th fret, but the one using more neck relief will actually have less distance at the higher registers. In the same way, a guitar with too much bow in the neck will "feel" like higher action because the strings are higher in the middle of the neck. Also, if two guitars have different heights of the strings at the nut, the one will the lower nut will feel lower.

^^I use hybrids 09-46..for some reason high 10s are a bit too hard to bend for me.

That is a bit odd.

It's not hard to bend 10's, but many do find it difficult because they have a "light touch"...as in, it's harder to go from playing with a light touch and then switch to using more strength for a bend.

Not odd in itself, but odd that you are having to back off from playing heavy handed....

Archived