Gibson Brands Forums

Bit of help on a Gibson SG 1988?

LloydR

Hi there,

I was recently selling my 2005 Gibson Explorer although I have received an offer of a straight swap for a 1988 Gibson SG Standard. As ever when I sell/swap something of value I want to make sure that everything is 100%. Can someone give me perhaps a ball park figure of what the value of the 1988 Gibson SG would be? And from what I can see in the photos the guitar looks well and legitimate although could someone with maybe a better eagle eye confirm this for me? I have 8 photo's so far although I could ask for more if need be.

Cheers for helping!

_86%201.jpg

_86%202.jpg

_86%203.jpg

_86%204.jpg

_86.jpg

_86%207.jpg

_86%205.jpg

_86%206.jpg

I have the same model! Great SG. Very much a 61 reissue vibe with it. One went on eBay for around £800 recently.

As stated previously, the knobs have been changed, they should be black speed knobs. That bridge pickup looks high!!

They came with Bill Lawrence pickups as standard so maybe thats worth checking before you take the plunge. Good luck!!

• 1 month later...

Nice Guitar!!

I remember asking a salesman in 1987 about the toggle switch position

and was told "Yep, a new company owns Gibson now and they say this is how the SG will be made from here on out"

and at that time the guitar sold for around $899.

Glad he was wrong, but I really dig those models

ha! it occurs to me that no one else but you would notice this

CB -> Charlie The Bevel-errrrrrrrrrr...

[biggrin] LOL! GUILTY, as charged! [blush] The '61 (Original SG) style

beveling and horn tapering is what I grew up with, and was on the first SG

I ever played, and later owned. Anything less, just isn't "Right" (for Me)!!

LOL

But, I realize, it's not an issue, with a LOT of folks! And, that's fine!

CB

Nice Guitar!!

I remember asking a salesman in 1987 about the toggle switch position

and was told "Yep, a new company owns Gibson now and they say this is how the SG will be made from here on out"

and at that time the guitar sold for around $899.

Glad he was wrong, but I really dig those models

They started making them this way in the early 1980's, so it must have been a Norlin decision.

WOW...hardly any beveling in the horn area, front or back, that year! [confused]

Interesting! :-k

CB

ha! it occurs to me that no one else but you would notice this

CB -> Charlie The Bevel-errrrrrrrrrr...

I just overlooked this thread then, or I would have noticed and commented that, too. [biggrin]

Hi there,

I was recently selling my 2005 Gibson Explorer although I have received an offer of a straight swap for a 1988 Gibson SG Standard. As ever when I sell/swap something of value I want to make sure that everything is 100%. Can someone give me perhaps a ball park figure of what the value of the 1988 Gibson SG would be? And from what I can see in the photos the guitar looks well and legitimate although could someone with maybe a better eagle eye confirm this for me? I have 8 photo's so far although I could ask for more if need be.

Cheers for helping!

_86%201.jpg

_86%202.jpg

_86%203.jpg

_86%204.jpg

_86.jpg

_86%207.jpg

_86%205.jpg

_86%206.jpg

It does look to be in excellent condition, for it's age! Good For You!

CB

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there,

Cheers for helping!

_86%201.jpg

_86%202.jpg

_86%203.jpg

_86%204.jpg

_86.jpg

_86%207.jpg

_86%205.jpg

_86%206.jpg

My brother has an 86 black standard and they put speed knobs on his, these knobs look more like there off an 81, condition is far from mint as well, again my brothers is a few years older and it looks brand new, this one has a lot of nicks and scratches.

Makes me wonder how it was treated, but that's just me, I'm very particular about caring for my guitars.

I know I am late to the party here, but one thing I noticed, that looked odd to me right off the bat, was the placement of the toggle switch.

I have always seen it situated between the control knobs and the pick guard—directly below the stop bar tail piece. Not to say this would point to a "legitimacy" issue... just odd. I guess that's where they're located on this particular year's models.

Added: Funny! My '91 Standard's toggle switch is located in the same spot as yours. That's what happens when you've been playing newer SG's for many years.

Archived