Gibson Brands Forums

27% lower fret wire

grovesnor

i actually like the new size,but i imagine gibson has some models with jumbo frets.cant see that it would save them a lot to have smaller frets,most of the price is labor on the fretboard and installation,height wouldnt make a lot of difference in cost to them.

I agree - I really like the new smaller fret wire on the 2015's. I got a '15 LP Special Double Cut recently, and I am digging the smaller (lower) fret size on it.

IMG_2043%20copy_zpse2ncxdb8.jpg

IMG_2207%20copy_zpsxg2hpguo.jpg

Am I the only one who does not actually prefer this on newer models?

Do you suppose there will ever be a return to Jumbo frets? I guess its another 'cost saving' new feature that's here to stay? :unsure:

I love me some railroad tie frets [thumbup]

I currently own an SG with what I'm guessing are Jumbo frets. Soon to be getting my first Lester I hope. I'm going with smaller frets myself. I can play the Jumbo size but I prefer smaller ones. The jumble seem to fart at me on some bends. Maybe I'm just used to my Strat, frets are way smaller

I had the frets of my Classic Custom crowned to .035

Best thing I ever did.

To each his own I guess.

I did a similar thing to my ES345 although I didn't go for a specific measure - just how they felt. But then I like low frets. The best fretboard in my guitar collection is the Les Paul 25 / 50 with the ultra low "fretless wonder" wide frets. Won't suit everybody but certainly suits me.

Am I the only one who does not actually prefer this on newer models?

Do you suppose there will ever be a return to Jumbo frets? I guess its another 'cost saving' new feature that's here to stay? :unsure:

How much time have you spent playing the smaller fret guitars?

Sometimes a change takes a bit of living with.

The best fretboard in my guitar collection is the Les Paul 25 / 50 with the ultra low "fretless wonder" wide frets. Won't suit everybody but certainly suits me.

That would certainly suit me just fine.

I like Your thinking. I did the same to mine.

Hey Bence.

I can't take credit for that thinking. I was thinking of refretting the damn thing until I posted

the question on this forum a couple years ago. I think it was good ole Pippy who suggested I have it crowned

rather than have it refretted. But he always did like his nibs so.....

lol.

Anyway, it was a great idea and am very happy I did it.

Archived