Gibson Brands Forums

Best strings?

Berserker82

Hi all, you have been so helpful in past posts that I thought I would ask what you like for strings, particularly light strings, or maybe extra lights. So far I have used Newtone Masterclass and D'Addario EJ16 lights. Having a spruce top mahogany b/s guitar, what do you recommend?

If I were you I would go to juststrings.com (no affiliation), pick 3 or 4 sets of your preferred gauge and start the test. Or Martin Marquis 80/20 and forget about it.

I did the string dance for years, no longer can. I try something different every few years but always come back to the aforementioned. I am however very particular about picks.

I've tried pretty much every string out there...Im a bit OCD with strings...

In order of preference I like the following on my spruce/hog guitars:

Thomastik spectrum 12-54

Gibson masterbuild/J-200 strings

DR Sunbeams

Pyramid western folk

John pearse new mediums

Newtone Double wound

But this is what "I" like on my guitars. The only way is to try everything you can which is timely and can be costly if you have lots of guitars (Thomastik are pricey).

Have fun!

I hate changing strings so I used elixir lights PB. They last a very long time and get better with age

I have those on everything except my slide type guitars. Love them!

Except because I play bare fingers, I often change them because I am bored with them lasting so long! [biggrin]

BluesKing777.

I pretty much change strings when I change the battery in a guitar. About once a year or so. Reminds me that the Dove is overdue....lol...........Regarding brands, I did try some Earl Ball Bronze Aluminum lights several months ago. Bought 3 sets and tried one. I thought they were way-too-bright and brassy sounding. Gave the other two sets to a friend. He put a set on one of his guitars and when I heard it I thought it sounded like a howitzer.....go figure.

• 1 month later...

Hi all, you have been so helpful in past posts that I thought I would ask what you like for strings, particularly light strings, or maybe extra lights. So far I have used Newtone Masterclass and D'Addario EJ16 lights. Having a spruce top mahogany b/s guitar, what do you recommend?

I'm a devoted D'Addario EJ-16 guy, but i just discovered some amazing strings and have bought 4 sets I like them so much. Expensive though. $24/set! They're Thomastik-Infeld PB 11-50, or 12-59. I like them both. Incredible chime, tone, and sustain, with an unbelievable strong low end. Low string tension too, which is a bonus.

I have them on my '39 Gibson Jumbo 55, my 2012 Gibson Sheryl Crow Southern Jumbo, 1988 Martin HD28, and my Epiphone Masterbilt DR500R. All sound fantastic.

I love Pearse PB lights, Elixir PB Nano, Martin Lifespan PB, occasionally Pearse Nickle lights (HATE the Monel/Retros -- find the Pearse to not tear my hands off like the Monels do), DR strings buzz and are horribly inconsistent, do use the D'addario PB someties -- NOT the coated ones. I have tried just about all the others that are out there. These that I mentioned here though are the ones I keep going back to. I don't change often because they all seem to last. If I break one or if they start losing harmonic content, I change them. I play all fingers, fingers and thumbpick or flatpick. So with Martins, Gibsons and Guilds, rosewood, hog and maple, and all these different styles, there are just so many variables! Yes, I go nuts like the rest of us with strings.

Archived