Gibson Brands Forums

Feeling better

AndyK

I've not been around much due to mental illness, but I'm feeling a lot better now. During that time, I bought a lovely R0, but due to my condition, I couldn't gain any joy from it. Fortunately, I now realise it's a really lovely guitar. [thumbup]

10401519_10155246596185416_7509087758794619471_n.jpg?oh=00aaa0a03c096c0d31f322fb2856c3d8&oe=56EC7492

Happy New Guitar Day. And more so, I'm glad you're feeling better. I went thru some depression from a head injury (auto accident). Bad for several years but only like having aches & pains now. I will have a day that is from Bluesville but that's infrequent. I know what it feels like and always empathetic to anyone that is going thru that. Best thing that helped me was a one liner that the Neuro-Psychologist helped me with:

"If you want to be happy, ACT HAPPY!" I know only too well that this is easier said than done, but I was dang good at "Acting Unhappy" so I gave it a try. Slowly it started gaining traction. If it didn't do anything else, I didn't allow me to wallow and make things worse.

Best wishes with all, and hang around as much as you have time for!!! [thumbup]

Aster

Hey Welcome back nice to meet you and I am glad you are feeling better, depression is a mean thing I have battled it and have worked through some devastating events, serious accident and the loss of my brother who was my best friend my entire life. I know the hopeless feelings that you get...Best of luck to you hope you continue to progress..And that is a great looking guitar...play the hell out of it... [thumbup]

I I bought a lovely R0, but due to my condition, I couldn't gain any joy from it. Fortunately, I now realise it's a really lovely guitar. [thumbup]

I know only too well that this is easier said than done, but I was dang good at "Acting Unhappy" so I gave it a try. Slowly it started gaining traction. If it didn't do anything else, I didn't allow me to wallow and make things worse.

[thumbup]

Aster

Mirrors tend to depress me but other than that, all is good.

What a bunch of kindred spirits! I love this place!

I hate mirrors myself. Might as well hang an ugly picture, cause while it's still ugly, at least it ain't me.

Being BiPolar (or whatever they are calling it these days), I had to learn the difference between the "artificial" depressed thought and feeling, and the real ones. And basically, resisting the urge to give meaning to the artificial ones. Feeling depressed and trying to "fix" bad feelings that are coming from the depression is what causes the downward spiral, leading to the psychosis state. As opposed to ignoring them, or letting them pass.

And lastly, if you can't feel happy about having an R0, in particular THAT one, seek help!

I've not been around much due to mental illness, but I'm feeling a lot better now. During that time, I bought a lovely R0, but due to my condition, I couldn't gain any joy from it. Fortunately, I now realise it's a really lovely guitar. [thumbup]

I pray you continue to feel better and you got my dream les paul there, i wont go on and on about it, ill just say im jealous, very very nice! [thumbup]

G'day Mate!

Nice guitar you've got there, thanks for showing her off.

That old "black dog" comes around and bites me on the bum quite regularly but I have been able to keep him away from the door for a few years now by regularly drinking "green tea"

My psychologist recommended it, and drinking 3 or 4 cups every day seems to have helped me enormously. (common Tetley tea bags)

I have been able to ease off of medication and manage with just the tea now, which is huge for me.

Other things that have helped me over the years are exercise (running) and meditation.

Good luck!

Hello Andy!

I am glad to hear You are feeling better. As You said, letting the bad thoughts go is the key to recovery. Don't get a grip on them.

As for the guitar, it's one of the nicest bursts I have seen so far. Flame on plain top is simply beautiful! Along with Pippy's Marmalade and Simon's plain top, it's the nicest at the Forums for sure!

Enjoy it with good health!

Best wishes... Bence

snip:

Being BiPolar (or whatever they are calling it these days), I had to learn the difference between the "artificial" depressed thought and feeling, and the real ones. And basically, resisting the urge to give meaning to the artificial ones. Feeling depressed and trying to "fix" bad feelings that are coming from the depression is what causes the downward spiral, leading to the psychosis state. As opposed to ignoring them, or letting them pass.

Yes Stein, and that I recognize. Bi-Polar is a different cat, treatment, & mindset to Clinical depression. Andy, I was maybe mis-presuming that was the issue vs. any Bi-Polar. If so, disregard my suggestion as it wasn't to cause troubles.

Aster

Yes Stein, and that I recognize. Bi-Polar is a different cat, treatment, & mindset to Clinical depression. Andy, I was maybe mis-presuming that was the issue vs. any Bi-Polar. If so, disregard my suggestion as it wasn't to cause troubles.

Aster

I didn't think either of us were making suggestions. We were just sayin'.

I was just sayin' I can relate to "act happy", so to speak.

It isn't so much I tend to fake happiness, but rather, decide to think of happy things, focus there.

Hi Andy. Beautiful Guitar! The jargon on Gibson models confuses me. Your R0, and I see R8's and 9's.

What does "R" stand for? I don't see "R" models on the Gibson website.

Then there is the battle with mental illness. I've been there too. Admitting we have it is a big step. I hope you continue to recover.

Enjoy your new guitar.

Hi Andy. Beautiful Guitar! The jargon on Gibson models confuses me. Your R0, and I see R8's and 9's.

What does "R" stand for? I don't see "R" models on the Gibson website.

Then there is the battle with mental illness. I've been there too. Admitting we have it is a big step. I hope you continue to recover.

Enjoy your new guitar.

Thank you, friend. The "R" naming system is shorthand for "reissue" and whilst there are (and have been) many many types of LP reissue over the years, this one refers to the VOS (Vintage Original Specification) range, I believe - built to be as close to an original as possible. R8 means a '58 reissue, R9 a '59 and R0 a '60. The differences are mostly in the neck department.

Archived