Gibson Brands Forums

Kacey Musgraves Gibson'

Lefty Guy

I agree those tuner buttons look a little funky. And when the camera catches the guitar from the side, the glare from the pickguard makes it look like it might be one of those 'flubber' guards.

But it all looks good on her.

Hmm. The headstock and tuners and pickguard say Southern Jumbo... The tulips rule out Standard. The pickup.. (Some kind of Baggs). And lack of banner seems to rule out SJTV... Lovely guitar for sure?

Nope. Everything but the tuners says J-45. If it's a vintage guitar--and I think it might be--it's a 1955 to 1960-ish J-45. Stenciled block logo, post-'54 pickguard, 20-fret neck. Nothing SJ about it.

Edit: looked at it again on full-screen on my big desk monitor. It's definitely vintage--you can see checks and finish irregularities on the top, even though it's not a high-def video. I'll stick with the 1955-early 1960's timeline.

I've always liked a girl with a tattoo or a ring in her nose. She's already proved she's capable of making a rash decision......

Moral: Never judge a guitar but its pickguard....

Pickguard actually looks right for the year. Only the tuners are wrong, but other than the strings, they're the easiest thing to change out on the guitar.

I had trouble concentrating on the details of the guitar, for some reason. Must be the white boots.

for those who are still debating what guitar, here it is straight from kacey

http://www.acousticguitar.com/News/Kacey-Musgraves-Reflects-on-her-Whirlwind-Ascent

Music city Pickers gets a lot of nice guitars.

A lot of people obsess over earlier Gibsons, but those mid/late 1950's J-45's and SJ's are comfortable to play, and can be very punchy. They often lack the sweetness and sustain of Bozeman (or Kalamazoo) guitars built with scalloped top braces, but they've got a lot of character.

They are great guitars for accompanying singers.

Archived