Gibson Brands Forums

Return of the '61 Reissue

JamGuy

Sweetwater has new 2016 '61 RI SGs listed... I know some of you are yearning for more beveling and included HSCs. Not that I'd buy a guitar for the case but they're sweet looking... brown with red plush interiors! Nice looking guitars too!

My link

Such lovely Guitars!! [thumbup]

CB

They are awesome... I love mine. I picked it up off eBay several years ago at a super ridiculous price... it had lived a pretty hard life and needed a little repair work (nothing too major) but it does have finish cracking around the neck joint... not a great sign, but she's holding solid and keeps in tune so I'm not terribly worried about it. Can't say as though I prefer it over my other SGs but I do really like it... she's a keeper for sure!

All in all, gibson seems to have done a great job getting their act together this year as far models offered and specs. A little something for everyone. [thumbup]

I used to have one of the older ones. The fit and finish were great, however the neck was so skinny that it was totally unstable. I'm not a very heavy handed player but I found that it bent forward under hardly any pressure and sounded flat far too much.

I've not tried a more recent one but I would say try before you buy just in case.

Guitar Center seems to have an exclusive model similar to the '61 Reissue... the '61 SG standard (w/coil tap). Comes in a few different finish options.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gibson/SG-Standard-61-with-Coil-Split-Electric-Guitar-Desert-Burst-1375717133334.gc

Yeah, that "Champagne" finished one, looks pretty Awesome=Tempting! But, I don't need any more SG's! [blush][biggrin] LOL Still...??? :-k

CB

You are absolutely correct, cjsinla.

The Sweetwater guitar has an ABR-1 because it's a '61 Re-Issue.

Very pretty.

Pip.

The version of this guitar, 61 RI, that was discontinued in 2012/2013 did not have the ABR. The beveling looks about the same. That's also a pretty good price. This model was going for $2500+ before the big price drops after the raids.

• 4 weeks later...

Last time I checked Sweetwater had zero stock of any 61 Reissue SGs and not even a listing where this SG could be preordered. Are we sure the 61 Reissue has been brought back by Gibson? It's not listed on the Gibson 2016 lineup on the official site.

Last time I checked Sweetwater had zero stock of any 61 Reissue SGs and not even a listing where this SG could be preordered. Are we sure the 61 Reissue has been brought back by Gibson? It's not listed on the Gibson 2016 lineup on the official site.

They do seem to have vanished... and apparently they aren't part of the regular 2016 lineup. Not sure what was up with that... I promise they really were listed on Sweetwater only about a month ago. [rolleyes] Perhaps they were leftovers from last year but I didn't think they were part of last year's lineup either... or 2014 for that matter. I can't keep it all straight. [confused]

The version of this guitar, 61 RI, that was discontinued in 2012/2013 did not have the ABR....

I can't say I ever saw those, cjs.

Seems dishonest to call a '61 RI a RI if it was Nash' equipped.

Another oddity about the guitars in the original link - though non-SG - was the Plain-top Trad LPs were said to be non-chambered & non-weight-relieved.

Weird because the 2016 Trads ARE 9-hole W-R'd.

:-k

Pip.

I can't say I ever saw those, cjs.

Seems dishonest to call a '61 RI a RI if it was Nash' equipped.

Another oddity about the guitars in the original link - though non-SG - was the Plain-top Trad LPs were said to be non-chambered & non-weight-relieved.

Weird because the 2016 Trads ARE 9-hole W-R'd.

:-k

Pip.

Right, Pip, I thought the 61's should've come with ABR's, too. But at the time, the ABR's only seemed to be available on the CS models. Here's my 2011 61ri with the Nashville and they all had them.

image_zpsd1cfklhg.jpeg

They are back! I just saw them on Zzounds for $1899, they have the ABR bridge and everything. I don't like the new Nashville ones with the Allen wrench holes, those holes are completely unnecessary IMO.

I'm not sure I'm buying this is a 2016 61 Reissue. Gibson hasn't had this guitar on their website for a couple of years (at least). Not only that the latest buyer review is from 2010.

Someone should buy it and report back.

I'm not sure I'm buying this is a 2016 61 Reissue. Gibson hasn't had this guitar on their website for a couple of years (at least). Not only that the latest buyer review is from 2010.

They are under the banner of 'proprietary runs' here in the UK and there is only one store stocking them here so far to my knowledge which is Richtone Music. They certainly are '61 Re-issues, but probably just in limited numbers. Gibson don't always have some limited runs listed on their website.

I'm hoping they bring out some '61's with a Lyre. I just love the look of those tailpieces and the additional versatility of having a tremolo. I have one on my SG Custom 'Kirk Douglas', but would love a '61 with one too...or they could just issue another SG Original please [smile]

These are not the same as the ones on the site, they have a different bridge and they have a 2016 serial number. They look more like a real 61 than the last run.

Well I just spoke with ZZounds this morning and they have 17 (!!) 2016 Gibson 61 Reissue SGs in stock. He said Gibson decided to bring it back again for this year. Still it's $1,900 which seems especially expensive when the Derek Trucks model can be had new for less than $1,300.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I just spoke with ZZounds this morning and they have 17 (!!) 2016 Gibson 61 Reissue SGs in stock. He said Gibson decided to bring it back again for this year. Still it's $1,900 which seems especially expensive when the Derek Trucks model can be had new for less than $1,300.

The DT SG's were priced for clearance, good luck finding one. IMO that new 61 is reasonably priced considering that the other ones did not have an ABR were going for about $2700 before they d/c'd them. They did cut the price to $1600 at the end.

Archived