Gibson Brands Forums

string gauges for '56 es225tc

swelby

greetings and first post here. Got a newly acquired 56 blond es225tc. It's in beautiful condition with no issues. It has 11's on there now but feel too light for me. Action could be raised just a tad as well. I want to try 12's but want to be confident an old 56 es225t will hold up. Never had nor does it need a re-set. I know there's been some 125's needing re-sets but don't know the track record of 225's needing them. I understand the 225's were built better than 125's whether that includes the area concerned I dont know. Just playing it safe. Any thoughts? thanks

Ernie Ball Power Slinky 11's. Keep 'em light, even though heavier strings aren't a problem for an ES. When you play with a light fretting touch your hand moves more fluidly. Electric is a different feel than acoustic. Your fingers do some of the work, but the amp does the rest.

There's a lot of stuff from the 50's that's been upgraded in quality and performance...like strings.

Can you show us that guitar? Bet it's nice.

no offense meant to 125's. Reason I acquired this guitar was because I sorely missed and regret selling a cherry burst 125 years ago. It had something special which I'm trying to get back in tone and playabilty. Will post a pic of my 225 soon.

Archived