Gibson Brands Forums

Ultra true reissues

btoth76

Hello!

As it seems Gibson perfected every detail by now, to create a really true, period-correct Reissue.

Here it is! The roasted Reissue!

25075_59_Les_Paul_Historic_Select_Cooked_NA_HS9_50140_1.jpg

http://www.themusiczoo.com/product/25075/Gibson-Custom-Shop-Music-Zoo-Exclusive-Roasted-Reissue-59-Historic-Select-Prototype-Les-Paul-Electric-Guitar-Aged-Dark-Roast/

"The woods used in original 1950’s Gibson Les Pauls (and many other vintage guitars of that stature) were made from trees that were from old growths forests – trees that were already 100’s of years old, if not more. These woods were sturdy, and had matured long enough for the excess moisture to dry away. An ingredient that was essential in the tone of the guitars that we all know and lust after... On a molecular level – the roasted wood is almost identical to that of 350 year old lumber: the same lumber used in those original vintage Les Pauls."

I don't mind all the marketing talk, nor I am annoyed at the price. It is out of reach for me - I don't mind people paying 10,000 USD for a guitar either. It is not my business. However, if they found the way to properly season the wood, why it's not getting applied to all their instruments. Would be nice.

Cheers... Bence

Hehe.

My favorite part is: "100’s of years old, if not more... These woods were sturdy, and had matured long enough for the excess moisture to dry away"

So, back in the days they let tonewoods mature for centuries, but now, they use fresh cuts... [scared]

Cheers... Bence

I don't quite know what to say to that...

If the wood is stuck in an oven to dry (which they do for most of their wood) and all they do is leave it in longer or turn it up till its totally dry then why don't they just do that for all guitars if it sounds so much better then theyd have the best sounding guitars in the world (and everyone would be doing it)? Makes no sense at all....

When a tree is alive its never totally dry... that would mean its dead.

So what sort of caps do these guitars have? Anything but vintage Bumble Bees and they are missing a big factor in original tone [rolleyes]

_Facepalm_statue_zpstfomlcz5.jpg

homer_facepalm_zpsd9hdus5m.jpg

facepalm-bear-560x560_zpsh5byao4q.jpg

5543864653_5ac1097dce_b_zpsyrmptaxy.jpg

QepoL9q_zpsh2uns59w.jpg

I don't quite know what to say to that...

If the wood is stuck in an oven to dry (which they do for most of their wood) and all they do is leave it in longer or turn it up till its totally dry then why don't they just do that for all guitars if it sounds so much better then theyd have the best sounding guitars in the world (and everyone would be doing it)? Makes no sense at all....

When a tree is alive its never totally dry... that would mean its dead.

So what sort of caps do these guitars have? Anything but vintage Bumble Bees and they are missing a big factor in original tone [rolleyes]

_Facepalm_statue_zpstfomlcz5.jpg

homer_facepalm_zpsd9hdus5m.jpg

facepalm-bear-560x560_zpsh5byao4q.jpg

5543864653_5ac1097dce_b_zpsyrmptaxy.jpg

QepoL9q_zpsh2uns59w.jpg

Rabs,

When timber is kiln dried, it is left in the heat until it reaches a certain moisture content, if you over do it, it's useless. I used to work for a firm that did it.

Ian

Rabs,

When timber is kiln dried, it is left in the heat until it reaches a certain moisture content, if you over do it, it's useless. I used to work for a firm that did it.

Ian

Yeah I get that... Like over roasting anything, it will just dry, burn and shrivel up in the end....

BUT this is their blurb... They say theres no chemical or any artificial treatment.. They just call it a thermal treatment.. But how else do you add heat? Do they leave it to dry in the sun? Does someone stand there with a hairdryer? :)

"These guitars are True Historic Les Pauls whose wood (mahogany, maple, and rosewood) have undergone a thermal treatment process. This process takes all of the excess moisture out of the wood, giving the wood increased durability in weather changes, dimensional stability (reduced chances of swelling or shrinking), gives the wood a beautiful brown color. On a molecular level the roasted wood is almost identical to that of 350 year old lumber: the same lumber used in those original vintage Les Pauls. Last but not least, the process is entirely green. There are no additives, chemicals, or anything artificial that is being used in the roasting process. "

Yeah I get that... Like over roasting anything, it will just dry, burn and shrivel up in the end....

BUT this is their blurb... They say theres no chemical or any artificial treatment.. They just call it a thermal treatment.. But how else do you add heat? Do they leave it to dry in the sun? Does someone stand there with a hairdryer? :)

"These guitars are True Historic Les Pauls whose wood (mahogany, maple, and rosewood) have undergone a thermal treatment process. This process takes all of the excess moisture out of the wood, giving the wood increased durability in weather changes, dimensional stability (reduced chances of swelling or shrinking), gives the wood a beautiful brown color. On a molecular level – the roasted wood is almost identical to that of 350 year old lumber: the same lumber used in those original vintage Les Pauls. Last but not least, the process is entirely green. There are no additives, chemicals, or anything artificial that is being used in the roasting process. "

It's torrefaction, which where you cook the wood in a special oven with all the oxygen sucked out (a vacuum). Fire needs fuel (wood), heat and oxygen to start. By removing the oxygen, they can cook it for longer periods and get all the moisture out, without the wood burning.

-Ryan

Who the hell cares about hunks of dried out wood? What about the PLASTICS? What temperature are they baking them at and for how long, will somebody answer me that one?!?

P.S.

This marketing campaign is complete nonsense. Why not just say they've decided to try the torrefaction process on electric guitars?

I can think of many put-downs for various reasons already highlighted by other forumites but I still have to admit that the guitar is a bit of a Babe. Wow.

The top is one thing but that particular slab of mahogany & colour used for the body are phenomenal.

The one thing which seems a bit odd is, as I'm sure you've all already noticed, the heel profile which (IMX) translates into neck profile. Far too much shoulder for the depth. Too 'square'.

Still; Bullshit or no Bullshit I'm absolutely certain that I'd give it house-room.

Pip.

Still; Bullshit or no Bullshit I'm absolutely certain that I'd give it house-room.

Pip.

That's for sure.. I wouldn't say no or kick it outta bed in the morning...

Im sure its a great guitar an all (and it should be for $10,000).. Its just funny the stuff they come up with to try and justify it.... :)

I'm sure they will all sell, but if I'd bought a Collectors Choice or a True Historic, allegedly the nearest thing to a late 50's Les Paul, I'd be feeling a little miffed when a couple of month's latter a new, even more accurate reproduction was unveiled.

I don't know who will buy them, there a bit to expensive to gig in a pub, I can only think there aimed at collectors but what's the point in collecting something when a new even better one will be available in a month or two? I can't really see them ever becoming a good financial investment, especially when I have it on good authority (from a mate who buy's and sells expensive guitars for a living) that one well knowen UK retailer has a massive stock of Collectors Choice etc guitars that they just can't get rid of.

Wouldn't mine one though, but there's no way I'd put that much money into a brand new guitar.

Ian

I'm sure they will all sell, but if I'd bought a Collectors Choice or a True Historic, allegedly the nearest thing to a late 50's Les Paul, I'd be feeling a little miffed when a couple of month's latter a new, even more accurate reproduction was unveiled.

Yes, indeed. Welcome to about 1996 or so. At the rate they are going they will never accurately reproduce their own guitars, and I do not understand how many suckers are being born to keep this going.

rct

I wonder if they got any flat pickup rings yet for the ES guitars. Not on a molecular level, just, like, to make the pickup, like, even with the strings. On a macroscopic level.

The question is does this process really pay dividends on a solid body guitar or is it just a way to cash in on the latest craze in the acoustic guitar world?

Very good questions.

Archived