Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone by Gibson Sheraton

Greenie

Hi Guys my internet non savvy mate has an Epiphone by Gibson Sheraton he bought from a friend and wants to know if it's genuine and what age it is. The serial number dater doesn't work for Epiphone or Gibson. Any ideas? Epiphone by Gibson (on headstock) with a model name of Sheraton VSB (it is sunburst) and a sticker Serial number of SL70509543. Here are some pics.

Many thanks if you can help.

post-75136-079561900 1449012883_thumb.jpeg

post-75136-027692400 1449012898_thumb.jpeg

post-75136-068080000 1449012913_thumb.jpeg

post-75136-061016900 1449012944_thumb.jpeg

yep, totally legit. It is a 1987 Sheraton made in samick, korea. Not sure what the "SL" on the serial number means. It shouldnt have any factory designators at all. No biggie though. The Epiphone By Gibson guitars were made from 1986-1988 and were some of the first Korean Epiphones.

yep, totally legit. It is a 1987 Sheraton made in samick, korea. Not sure what the "SL" on the serial number means. It shouldnt have and factory designators at all. No biggie though. The Epiphone By Gibson guitars were made from 1986-1988 and were some of the first Korean Epiphones.

Many thanks to both of you for confirmation. My mate will be really pleased.

• 5 years later...

If Robin The Hood didn't know then there's not many people around I know of who would. He was a literal encyclopedia about epiphone guitars but hasn't been around for a while.

My guess would be a labelling error and the SL stands for serial. That's all I can think of. 

Either way don't include it in a number checker, it's not part of the Serial number.