Gibson Brands Forums

Suggest a replacement pup for the 57 Classic Plus?

charliebrownie

I am looking to replace my 57 Classic Plus pup in my LP Traditional and was wondering if any one had suggestions? I play mostly clean or with slight overdrive and am looking for something warmer and fatter than the stock 57 Classic Plus pup in the bridge. Love the 57C in the neck though!

• 2 weeks later...

What amp are you using? Can you achieve the sound with a pre-amp instead maybe? I have the same pups on mine, but I seldom use the bridge pup (and never on its own).

The Super ’57 Classic would still pair nicely of course, or is that still not fat enough?

57 Plus

5400 / 5400

42E

6.6294 cm x 1.7272 mm / 2.61" x 0.68"

ABS

Machine Wound

Nickel plated steel

59.52998 cm / 23.437 inches

Nickel plated steel

4.7498 mm x 1.24206 cm / 0.187 x 0.489"

Alnico #2 (smooth)

58.7375cm / 23.125"

6.35 cm x 1.27 mm / 2.5" x 0.5"

Screw side is the south pole of magnet

8.25k ohms

2622 Hz

Super '57 Classic

5750/5750

42E

6.6294 cm x 1.7272 mm / 2.61" x 0.68 "

ABS

Machine Wound

Nickel plated steel

59.52998 cm / 23.437 inches

Nickel plated steel

4.7498 mm x 1.24206 cm / 0.187" x .489"

Alnico II

58.7375cm / 23.125 "

6.35 cm x 1.27 mm / 2.5" x 0.5"

Screw side is the south pole of magnet

Nickel plated

8.72k ohms

2210 Hz

Personally I would go and find a smaller or local-ish pickup maker and get a custom model made to what you want, over buying an off-the-shelf pickup. Get a pickup to suit your tone, rather than getting a pickup and making that your tone.

I'm not a fan of SD's, and would much rather help out a local businessperson with a special order, but that's just me msp_biggrin.gif

Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates pickup.

Billy Gibbons achieves the tone you desire with it, so I can only image that pickup would do the trick.

[tongue]

I replaced the '59s in my 2014 Traditional with a set of Pearly Gates. They give the warm, fat tone your looking for...

• 2 weeks later...

Personally I would go and find a smaller or local-ish pickup maker and get a custom model made to what you want, over buying an off-the-shelf pickup. Get a pickup to suit your tone, rather than getting a pickup and making that your tone.

I'm not a fan of SD's, and would much rather help out a local businessperson with a special order, but that's just me msp_biggrin.gif

You Commie Bastard...LOL [cursing]

I am looking to replace my 57 Classic Plus pup in my LP Traditional and was wondering if any one had suggestions? I play mostly clean or with slight overdrive and am looking for something warmer and fatter than the stock 57 Classic Plus pup in the bridge. Love the 57C in the neck though!

Regardless of pickup, the tone will be warmer and fatter with higher action. Sufficient string height can't be replaced with anything else.

• 3 weeks later...

Along the same lines as above

"Regardless of pickup, the tone will be warmer and fatter with higher action. Sufficient string height can't be replaced with anything else"

I had the opposite problem with my 2012 Traditional. It was too muddy so I adjusted the pup height and then raised the base poles so they stuck up a little from the metal pup cover.

So, you could try to do the opposite !! The effect was marked. As this is a no cost option it might be worth a try!

Hey Charliebrownie ! If you are prepared 2 stray away from the Gibson line of pickups I could recommend the Dimarzio "The Tone Zone" DP155 humbucker 2 use in the bridge position & it compliments the 57 Classic Plus PAF'S which I'm assuming you have in the neck position. It looks like a wonderful option ,if suitable, 4 the tone that you are chasing. Just a suggestion m8. Good luck nailing down the sound you're after Charlie.B... P.S : I would also try switching 2 Elixir nanoweb strings in the 52/10's guage if that's up your alley , by far the best strings my fingertips have encountered m8. Again just another suggestion , not gospel... All the best...

Archived