Gibson Brands Forums

what resistance of volume pot in 1998 LeGrand?

JazzNote

From everything I have read, Gibson uses 500 ohm pots for arch-tops and semi-hollow body guitars equipped with humbuckers, and either 250 or 300 ohm pots for mini-humbuckers like the Legrand features.

(And usually 250 ohms for single coil pickups.)

If you were to wire in a 500 ohm volume pot, you may find a brighter tone than the Legrand currently produces.

If I am wrong here, I will humbly demur. I always appreciate enlightenment, and the opportunity to broaden my knowledge base.

:)

From everything I have read, Gibson uses 500 ohm pots for arch-tops and semi-hollow body guitars equipped with humbuckers, and either 250 or 300 ohm pots for mini-humbuckers like the Legrand features.

(And usually 250 ohms for single coil pickups.)

If you were to wire in a 500 ohm volume pot, you may find a brighter tone than the Legrand currently produces.

If I am wrong here, I will humbly demur. I always appreciate enlightenment, and the opportunity to broaden my knowledge base.

Kiloohms, please, not Ohms. Common Hi-Z magnetic pickups have impedance peaks of several hundreds kOhms to several MOhms, and along with a guitar cable still some dozens of kOhms. Some hundred Ohms would practically short them out.

- quite the opposite, after replacing the pickup some years ago i still find the highs in some playing situations a bit unpleasant and had in mind to try a lower resistance for a natural reduction of brightness.

I'm wondering what the resistance of the volume pot in my 1998 LeGrand is.

Unfortunately i cannot read it as the soldered wires cover a good portion of the pot.

TIA

JN

It's an easy task to use an ohmmeter or multi-meter to measure the resistance of the pot.

Measure across the two outside lugs.

F

- quite the opposite, after replacing the pickup some years ago i still find the highs in some playing situations a bit unpleasant and had in mind to try a lower resistance for a natural reduction of brightness.

Rather than replace a 500k pot for a 300k, you could simply turn the volume down to produce the same thing.

Also, the tone control could be used.

Thanks for the elucidation.

I did some research early this morning, and saw the 'k' after the numbers, 500, 300, 250, etc, and figured it was some keyboard-easy shorthand for the usual 'ohm' symbol.

So that's kilo-ohms.

Got it.

Much appreciated.

[tongue]

Rather than replace a 500k pot for a 300k, you could simply turn the volume down to produce the same thing.

Also, the tone control could be used.

Thanks!

there are situations when i just have to turn the volume up. as for a tone control, i'm experimenting (again) with the most suitable cap value. i also ordered a handmade Kent Armstrong pickup, hopefully this will help solving my problem.

Archived