Gibson Brands Forums

5 Questions to Ask Yourself Before Buying for a Guitar

In order to help you with this, first I ask you to think of buying a guitar as an investment.

female-guitar-player-live-jw-2.jpg

It is essential that you have answers to these 5 questions in order to have the best experience out of your instrument. Have you ever noticed how personal many musician's guitars are? The craftsmanship? The strings they use? The brand? Consider Ed Sheeran for a moment. His guitar of choice is a Martin for many personal reasons. It all boils down to that persons style; which starts us off with our question!

1. What is your style? Do you prefer jazz? Maybe rock? Country, soul, bluegrass, pop, etc.? Think about it. This will help you moving forward as you learn.

2. Acoustic or Electric? This ties into your style. Do you prefer the softer side of things? Or the rough and tough? Maybe someday you'll want one of each?

3. What type of body are you considering? This question applies if you are choosing an acoustic guitar. You want to make sure you're comfortable playing or it won't be a fun experience. Would you prefer a shallow body? (Easier to wrap your arms around), a full body? (Not difficult to hold, but more traditional) or an Ovation guitar? (a rounded back, and pretty stylish).

4. What is your personal price range? As I mentioned in my "About Me (Errone)" (see website for details) You don't need to spend a fortune to buy a quality starter guitar that will last you a long time. However, it is good to have a price range in mind. There may be some in your range that are not necessarily good, but I will help you with that. You can always find the right guitar for the right price! Believe me, I have several times.

5. What else will you need? All great things in life need something a little extra. It is important for you to start thinking about the other accessories that (unfortunately) do not come with many guitars. These things include an amp and guitar cables (for electric and acoustic-electric guitars), a capo (raises the pitch), a case and cleaning kit (gotta keep it fresh and clean!), a guitar strap (standing and playing is so hard without one) and an extra pair of strings (they can pop so you'll need a backup pair. They can be put on by the folks at your local music shop if you don't know how. Ex: Guitar Center).

Feel free to check out and subscribe to my website for more posts that I'm sure you will find useful and informative!

http://thebestbeginnerguitar.com/

Sorry guy but you lost me at "I ask you to think of buying a guitar as an investment."

I buy guitars for pleasure. Pure pleasure. How they look and how they sound.

If there is any "value" in them it comes from how they make me feel.

But I can't help wonder if I wouldn't feel better if I had all that pretty red hair to swing around on stage. [tongue]

• 2 months later...

5. What else will you need? All great things in life need something a little extra. It is important for you to start thinking about the other accessories that (unfortunately) do not come with many guitars. These things include an amp and guitar cables

http://thebestbeginnerguitar.com/

Yep. You'll certainly need a cable. Check!

Hello and welcome to the Forums!

If You don't mind, I will correct Your post this way:

1.) Regardless of the genre You are playing: which guitar's tonal character sounds the best to You?

2.) Is the guitar in question fits You ergonomically? (Feels comfortable to play, or not?). If not, look for a similar sounding guitar with a different design (weight, fret access, body width and contour).

3.) No three. That's it.

Cheers... Bence

And reverb. You might like a little reverb. Oh that's with an amp.

Er how about a tuner?

In all fairness I think the OP means 'investment' in the sense of investing time and effort learning how to play.

Archived