Gibson Brands Forums

Help ID A Gibson Bass

harveypb

I picked up this Gibson Bass at a flea market and I'm not sure what model it is, if it actually is a genuine Gibson or if it has been modified. Looks like an EB3 with the slotted headstock (which is broken off)I looked in the electronics cavity and it looks pretty original except for the 4 way switch which looks like it was changed out for a Rhythm/Treble switch. All other solder connections look original. The pickup wires look like they are made with unshielded wires which makes me think that its not an original Gibson bass... Have a look at the pics and let me know what you think the model is, if its truly a Gibson product and what you think might have been done to it. Thanks in Advance, Harvey

post-75182-051792700 1449435174_thumb.jpg

post-75182-036645100 1449435184_thumb.jpg

Hello Harvey, and welcome here.

This bass obviously suffered at least one bad mishap. I'm not that experienced in Gibson history, so I can't contribute anything you already haven't found out. I think that hi-res close-up pics could be helpful for more experienced members to find out something more. It's best to use a cloud account at photobucket or the like and link the pics here.

Good luck!

I picked up this Gibson Bass at a flea market and I'm not sure what model it is, if it actually is a genuine Gibson or if it has been modified. Looks like an EB3 with the slotted headstock (which is broken off)I looked in the electronics cavity and it looks pretty original except for the 4 way switch which looks like it was changed out for a Rhythm/Treble switch. All other solder connections look original. The pickup wires look like they are made with unshielded wires which makes me think that its not an original Gibson bass... Have a look at the pics and let me know what you think the model is, if its truly a Gibson product and what you think might have been done to it. Thanks in Advance, Harvey

Here's more pics

sg1_zpsga8wkqdy.jpg

sg2_zps42jaqnjz.jpg

sg3_zpsgdbeztxl.jpg

sg4_zpsaefdxgyz.jpg

sg5_zps3narcht6.jpg

sg6_zps9rckvhq1.jpg

sg7_zpsj1nnb9my.jpg

sg8_zpsg6jtteaw.jpg

sg9_zpsguz09wrf.jpg

sg10_zpsffu4r2r1.jpg

HPB

This EB-3 looks definitely legit to me. I can't judge pickup wires and circuit rewiring from here. Possibly looking at the pickup bottoms would help to clear that up.

In my opinion a repair job should include the body crack running from the lower bout through the circuit cavity.

I hope some of the bass experts will chime in.

I have to admit, I'm having a hard time with this.

On the one hand, what doesn't look right to me could also be due to having been refinished. Some of the contours and headstock shape seem off, but also, I see yellow in the control cavity. IF this was originally TV yellow or some sort, it is conceivable some contours wouldn't have survive so well in an effort to eliminate the color.

Also, while the bass shows evidence of being left out in the rain or something, what I see the finish doing sure looks to me like a re-fin.

I have never seen a slot-head Gibson bass, but I don't think I would know if there was.

I have to admit, I'm having a hard time with this.

On the one hand, what doesn't look right to me could also be due to having been refinished. Some of the contours and headstock shape seem off, but also, I see yellow in the control cavity. IF this was originally TV yellow or some sort, it is conceivable some contours wouldn't have survive so well in an effort to eliminate the color.

Also, while the bass shows evidence of being left out in the rain or something, what I see the finish doing sure looks to me like a re-fin.

I have never seen a slot-head Gibson bass, but I don't think I would know if there was.

it was definitely refinished. They even removed the serial numbers on the headstock. Looks like it was also lacquered. Perhaps this would help.

I still don't know if the pickups are original Gibson because they don't have shielded wires coming into the electronics cavity as all of the Gibson pickups I've seen have shielded wires....

I still don't know if the pickups are original Gibson because they don't have shielded wires coming into the electronics cavity as all of the Gibson pickups I've seen have shielded wires....

The pickups of my 1973 Gibson L6-S have unshielded wires. I don't have pics of their bottom side at hand. Even the neck pickup's housing wasn't shielded and a bad source of hum. I soldered a ground wire to one of the mounting brackets to solve the problem.

Here are pics from the bay showing an L6-S bridge pickup's back with an orange ground wire and an L6-S neck pickup's top without ground wire:

$_1.JPG

$_1.JPG?set_id=880000500F

it was definitely refinished. They even removed the serial numbers on the headstock. Looks like it was also lacquered. Perhaps this would help.

The pickups of my 1973 Gibson L6-S have unshielded wires. I don't have pics of their bottom side at hand. The neck pickup's housing wasn't even shielded and a bad source of hum. I soldered a ground wire to one of the mounting brackets to solve the problem.

Here are pics from the bay showing an L6-S bridge pickup's back with an orange ground wire and an L6-S neck pickup's top without ground wire:

Indeed, Gibson has been using "phone wire" for a long time, don't know exactly when or on what, but it became more standard than the shielded wire you are referring to.

This EB-3 looks definitely legit to me. I can't judge pickup wires and circuit rewiring from here. Possibly looking at the pickup bottoms would help to clear that up.

I can't read the codes, but I have done at least one that was a '74 LPC that had the same CTS pots and ceramic caps.

You have a '69 - '71 EB3 (the only years for the slotted headstock). They came in cherry and walnut. The bass originally had a 4-way rotary tone switch, a choke, braided pickup wires, and a solid bare wire for the bridge ground; so it's been re-wired. Because of the un-braided wires, the pickups may not be original - or someone could have spliced into the braided wires. The one piece mahogany necks with no volutes were known to break if dropped; in '72 Gibson went with a three piece maple neck, a volute and a solid headstock.

It's definitely worth a trip to a good luthier to see about fixing the headstock, the crack through the control cavity, and evaluating the overall condition of the bass; it looks like there's enough there to work with. If you bought it cheap, it's a good find.msp_thumbup.gif

You have a '69 - '71 EB3 (the only years for the slotted headstock). They came in cherry and walnut. The bass originally had a 4-way rotary tone switch, a choke, braided pickup wires, and a solid bare wire for the bridge ground; so it's been re-wired. Because of the un-braided wires, the pickups may not be original - or someone could have spliced into the braided wires. The one piece mahogany necks with no volutes were known to break if dropped; in '72 Gibson went with a three piece maple neck, a volute and a solid headstock.

It's definitely worth a trip to a good luthier to see about fixing the headstock, the crack through the control cavity, and evaluating the overall condition of the bass; it looks like there's enough there to work with. If you bought it cheap, it's a good find.msp_thumbup.gif

At this point I decided to loosen up the pickups and have a look at the wires. The neck pickup, (larger one) had a green and black wire...not shielded... The bridge pickup (smaller one) had a shielded wire but was neatly spliced with heat shrink tubing to 2 wires which is why I didn't see any shield wires coming into the electronics cavity. Do you still think that the pickups are original?? Thanks to all who have already responded

I just noticed something else....Have a look at the next pic. is there a piece missing from the bridge?? I think the strings should be going over some piece that might be missing....

post-75182-014493700 1449499442_thumb.jpg

...Is there a piece missing from the bridge?? I think the strings should be going over some piece that might be missing...

I'm no expert on Gibson basses by about 1,000,000 miles but I'd say yes; the actual bridge itself.

AFAIK the bit yours still has is the tailpiece / string anchor.

Here's what I think it should look like;

Gibson-EB3-Bass_zps6ackvsxi.jpg

Pip.

I'm no expert on Gibson basses by about 1,000,000 miles but I'd say yes; the actual bridge itself.

AFAIK the bit yours still has is the tailpiece / string anchor.

Here's what I think it should look like;

Gibson-EB3-Bass_zps6ackvsxi.jpg

Pip.

Hey Pip,

Thanks for the reply... Looks like mine is missing a bar/bridge piece.

Thanks Again To All that responded. I think I have the entire picture now on this bass...I probably will put it up on Ebay

now that I can describe it accurately.....I have the case too which I think I'll put up separately......

I Personally like the Gibson SG guitar...Got a 1970 with the long Maestro Vibrato tailpiece....Great Guitar....

Archived