Gibson Brands Forums

What a waste...

Kenan

I have a 2015 Gibson Les Paul Classic along with a 1996 Les Paul Studio and a 2012 Zakk Wylde Les Paul Bullseye. The 2015 is my #1 guitar. The problem with the nut should have been worked out before putting them on and selling them to the public. At least Gibson fixed the problem with the Titanium nut which they sent me (no charge) and I've put it on my guitar and there are no problems. Plus it sounds better with the titanium nut. Gibson did however send me a nickle plated nut before the titanium and the nickle plated nut lasted longer but still did the same thing with getting grooves cut into it by the strings. As I was saying, Gibson fixed the problem by using titanium for the nut. Gibson is putting titanium nuts on there 2016 HP line.

All those 2015 models with brass zero fret nut..it's like, failure waiting to happen. I wanted to purchase LPM 2015 but because of the zero fret nut (made of brass) I decided not to..such a shame..what were they thinking?

Really, just because of the nut?

But how did it feel in your hands? Me, I just loved the neck. Nut or no nut. :)

Really, just because of the nut?

But how did it feel in your hands? Me, I just loved the neck. Nut or no nut. :)

Well, isn't that reason enough? Imagine buying a new guitar and it wears out after month of playing and than having to fix something that never should have been broken in the first place..pretty discouraging, at least to me.

Well, isn't that reason enough? Imagine buying a new guitar and it wears out after month of playing and than having to fix something that never should have been broken in the first place..pretty discouraging, at least to me.

I was fully aware of the issue when I bought mine. I dont know where you are based Kenan, but Americans seem to get better & faster remedial help. They have requested replacements as soon as purchasing the guitar and got them.

I am UK based. I was asked for photos of the wear and a receipt (yes really, and all they had to do was check my purchase registration) , but I still got my replacement nut in about a week.

Now, I was sure I had the nickle replacement. It looks like nickle. It doesnt look like titanium. But I have had zero wear since fitting it. Maybe it really is titanium. The point is it works. It takes about 15 minutes to slacken the strings, replace the nut, re-tune and adjust to the optimal string height.

I love these wider necks. The detractors are accustomed to regular Gibson necks. They may not appreciate that it takes longer than an hour in a shop to get used to the difference and to perceive the advantages.

That depends on what is important to you.

For me, it has always been about the feel of the guitar and mainly the neck.

When I grab the neck I feel like I'm channeling the spirit of all mighty guitar players that has come before me and I know: "This is the stuff!".

After that, a light opens from heaven to shine down on me while angels sing: "Aaaaaahhhhh" and I play my first chord.

True Story.

Now, I learned about this issue after I purchased my 2015 Classic (with 40% off) so I am good since it's an easy fix. But I have yet to run into any issue.

And maybe that's the thing? I know how rare it is for a guitar to speak to me like the two I own, that I don't mind the other stuff?

Come to think of it, it sound like love, family, relationship. You don't fret the small stuff. (pun intended)

Archived