Gibson Guitar Board: Which strings for Gibson archtop? - Gibson Guitar Board

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Which strings for Gibson archtop?

#21 User is offline   windhoek 

• Group: Members
  • LocationSomewhere in your mind as a memory...

Posted 28 January 2016 - 12:10 PM

I collected my 175D and Big Baby from Jimmy Moon today after a pro setup and oh my, I'm impressed. Both guitars feel bang on and I now realise guitar manufacturers just make them so that they're in the vicinity of the sweetspot, whereas a luthier will zoom right in on the sweetspot!

The 175D now has the Thomastiks on, and I instantly prefer them to the D'Addarios as the they feel smoother and seem frictionless compared to the D'Addarios. I'll collect my Classical next week, but as I told Jimmy as I was leaving, there's no rush because I expect to be busy with my other babies for a while :)
Gibson - Hummingbird HCS (2015)
La Patrie - Concert
Taylor - Big Baby

#22 User is offline   Sleeko 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationHampstead, North Carolina

Posted 28 January 2016 - 01:48 PM

View Postwindhoek, on 28 January 2016 - 12:10 PM, said:

I collected my 175D and Big Baby from Jimmy Moon today after a pro setup and oh my, I'm impressed. Both guitars feel bang on and I now realise guitar manufacturers just make them so that they're in the vicinity of the sweetspot, whereas a luthier will zoom right in on the sweetspot!

The 175D now has the Thomastiks on, and I instantly prefer them to the D'Addarios as the they feel smoother and seem frictionless compared to the D'Addarios. I'll collect my Classical next week, but as I told Jimmy as I was leaving, there's no rush because I expect to be busy with my other babies for a while :)

YuP [thumbup]

#23 User is offline   dnr 

Posted 25 March 2016 - 03:34 AM

I have tried a number of different sets recently. I have gravitated towards a slightly customised set. Basically D'Addario Chrome 12's with the 24w replaced with a 22 plain. I have found that the 24w G string had so much more tension than the rest of the set that it sounded louder and punchier and felt a lot tighter too. The 22p seems to match the other strings both in volume and tension. Plus it is nice to be able to bend it should I feel so inclined.

#24 User is offline   jmendoza 

Posted 07 April 2016 - 04:56 PM

Now you are spoiled. Once you get used to the Thomastiks, there is no going back. I found them really great for doing surf tunes as well, very warm and full sound.

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users