Gibson Brands Forums

1974? Gibson Ripper sunburst

moso

I just bought a Tobacco Sunburst Gibson Ripper, it looks to be a very early model.

The serial is 102207 one pot has #1377401 the other #13773... everything looks original, the soldering looks original.

Everything on the bass looks original, the paint is allso 100% original sunburst with ebony fingerboard, i am the third owner, it was sold new in Madrid, spain.

All this information makes this a 1974, but they did not start making this basses in sunburst before 1975....?

I just bought a Tobacco Sunburst Gibson Ripper, it looks to be a very early model.

The serial is 102207 one pot has #1377401 the other #13773... everything looks original, the soldering looks original.

Everything on the bass looks original, the paint is allso 100% original sunburst with ebony fingerboard, i am the third owner, it was sold new in Madrid, spain.

All this information makes this a 1974, but they did not start making this basses in sunburst before 1975....?

post-13145-048191200 1450262195_thumb.jpg

I'm not very familiar with Rippers, but I guess the best way to tell if it's a '74 or '75 would be to determine if the body is maple ('73 & '74, '77 & later) or alder ('75 & '76). The pot codes are sometimes older than the bass, and Gibson serial numbers can be misleading. Could it have been made in early '75 with a '74 neck?

If you haven't been to the Fly Guitar site, this will give you some useful info: http://www.flyguitar...s/L-9Sripper.ph

I'm not very familiar with Rippers, but I guess the best way to tell if it's a '74 or '75 would be to determine if the body is maple ('73 & '74, '77 & later) or alder ('75 & '76). The pot codes are sometimes older than the bass, and Gibson serial numbers can be misleading. Could it have been made in early '75 with a '74 neck?

If you haven't been to the Fly Guitar site, this will give you some useful info: http://www.flyguitar...s/L-9Sripper.ph

The body is maple, i have a 1975 allso, that one i think is alder. The Sunburst have stamped "made in USA" the 75' has decals. Allso the volute on the sunburst is larger than the 75! I posted the ripper on flyguitar:-)

I would check it by reading the POT dates. Also, with all the rust on the pole screws and the knob pointers I suspect the pick guard is gassing out from being stored in the case. If the back of those pots look as bad as the screws and pointers on the front I would get rid of that pick guard.

I would check it by reading the POT dates. Also, with all the rust on the pole screws and the knob pointers I suspect the pick guard is gassing out from being stored in the case. If the back of those pots look as bad as the screws and pointers on the front I would get rid of that pick guard.

Pickguard is gassing, but some one put a metal shield/metal tape on the underside of the pickguard, so the electronics looks ok, may be the shield is original? The pots are from late 73 and early 74(1377401) i will replace pickguard ASAP🕶

Based of the SN: the pot numbers and the pickups I would say it's a 74. A rare bird with the burst. Great looking bass!

New pickguard and screws on bass today:-)

Do you know how many sunburst rippers was made in 74'?

acording to Gibson, none....

With new pickguard next to the natural 1975:-)

post-13145-052360800 1450783006_thumb.jpg

New pickguard and screws on bass today:-)

Do you know how many sunburst rippers was made in 74'?

acording to Gibson, none....

Picture before new pickguard..

Ohhh I wouldn't have any idea. Gibson shipping records are famous for being incorrect. There were some strange Rippers in the first few years as they decided what options to have on them. Here is one of the stranger onces I've seen. It's a cherry burst that belongs to original AC/DC bass player Mark Evans.

f37e7fd3-fb53-4fcc-a72e-ce4b72957a53.JPG

Ohhh I wouldn't have any idea. Gibson shipping records are famous for being incorrect. There were some strange Rippers in the first few years as they decided what options to have on them. Here is one of the stranger onces I've seen. It's a cherry burst that belongs to original AC/DC bass player Mark Evans.

f37e7fd3-fb53-4fcc-a72e-ce4b72957a53.JPG

Well this picture did it... Just when I thought I was content with the Gibsons I have, you guys have me wanting a Ripper now! msp_scared.gif

Well this picture did it... Just when I thought I was content with the Gibsons I have, you guys have me wanting a Ripper now! msp_scared.gif

I know a guy who is selling one of the very first tobacco burst Gibson Rippers right now. It's 100% original.

I know a guy who is selling one of the very first tobacco burst Gibson Rippers right now. It's 100% original.

Man - that is tempting, but right now all of my "fun money" is tied up in a '99 Suburban toy-hauler. I just rebuilt the engine and, looking for that EB3 exhaust note, I'll be installing Gibson headers, cats, and true duals; that's gonna suck up the rest of my disposable cash. Who'd have thunk Gibson made exhaust systems msp_confused.gif. Should sound great!

If your friend still has the Ripper this summer, I might be interested. I'll PM you if it's possible. Thanks for the heads up.

Archived