Gibson Brands Forums

Which SG edition is qualitatively the best one?

Chain

Hello there

I am looking for a Gibson SG and was wondering which edition is the qualitatively best one. I couldn't find a list with all the limited SG's produced so far, hence I can't decide. Is, for example, the standard custom 2010 VOS with maestro vibrola and 2 pickups or a reissued historic art custom with 3 pickups and maestro vibrola superior compared to the editions from other years? Thank you very much in advance.

Hello and welcome...

Well im no SG expert but im sure someone else will say this, unfortunately the question you ask is impossible to answer.

One of the things you learn quickly on here is that everyone is different and we all look for different things from our guitars as in how they look, play and sound and guess what, we all have a different opinion on everything :)....

However, if you let us know what it is you are looking for as in, sound wise and look wise or specific features you want, maybe what sort of music you want to play on it.. Do you want P90s etc.. That way at least maybe we could narrow down what you are looking for.

Every year and model has good and bad examples.. So doing it by year is not the best way to look for what you want....

Well I hope that at least helps a tiny bit.. Looking for that right guitar can take some time, but its well worth the effort.. Good luck [thumbup]

That aesthetics etc. are to some part subjective comes not as a surprise. But since I cannot play on all different models, asking for the qualitatively 'best' one was a try to see whether one or another model appears to be the favourite one of many or to hear of a model I have not heard of so far.

But then, another question: Is there a list of all the limited/special edition Gibson produced so far? I couldn't fine one.

I am looking for a limited/special edition the price of which can be high.

Chain,

Do you desire to purchase a new SG, or a used one?

How far back do you wish to go (re; year of manufacture)?

For the latest, newest stuff, simply peruse these four pages:

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/SG.aspx

As far as older SG's of the custom/collectable variety, there are these Gibson Custom Shop SG's to consider:

SG Standard Reissue

The year 2000 to at least 2012

SG Special Reissue

The year 2000 to 2009

SG Custom Reissue

The year 1997 to at least 2012

'63 Corvette Stingray SG Limited Edition

The year 1996 only.

Pete Townsend Signature SG

The year 2000 only.

Tony Iommi Signature SG

The year 1999 to 2014

SG Elegant

The year2005 to at least 2012

And then of course there are dozens and dozens of other Gibson non-Custom Shop SG's to consider.

I'll name just a few of the most noteworthy of these special editions, since there are so many out there:

SG Carved Top AAA

The year 2009 to at least 2012

SG Custom

The year 1963 to 1980

SG Deluxe

The years 1998 and 1999

SG Derek Trucks Signature Model

The year 2012 to present

SG Angus Young Signature

The year 2000 to present

SG Diablo

2008 only

SG Exclusive

1979 only. Just 475 of these were made.

SG Junior

The year 1963 to 1970, and then 1999 to 2002.

SG Professional

The year 1971 to 1974

SG Special

The 1959 to 1978

....and the list goes on and on.

So many to choose from!!

[scared]

This is exactly the kind of list I am looking for -- thank you so much. Is this an excerpt from a longer list or did you write these down by memory?

Some of the older models are still on the official Gibson website, but I can't see how you can browse the older models by year on the website.

Archived