Gibson Brands Forums

Vintage Reissue Restoration Kit

lawrev

Hi Everyone:

A couple weeks ago I purchased a pre-owned 2010 Les Paul Junior 1957 Reissue in Faded Cherry. Beautiful guitar! I wanted to purchase some cleaner and polish for it, and Gibson was the natural choice. The Custom Shop said I should purchase the Vintage Reissue Restoration Kit for $17, which I did. The other product Gibson sells, the regular Guitar Care Pack for $40, I had already bought and had not finished up.

Turns out that the restoration kit has the same cleaner, conditioner, and polish as the guitar care kit. The only thing you get in the restoration kit that is different is a metal cleaner application brush.

Basically, I paid $17 for material I already owned. As an attorney, in my opinion, this is deceptive advertising by Gibson as the Vintage Reissue Restoration Kit is virtually identical to the non-reissue package. Why a legacy guitar company like Gibson would do this is beyond me.

Given this deception, why should I purchase another Custom Shop guitar (which was my plan)?

Did you tell the Gibson Custom Shop that you already had the Gibson Care Pack, and ask if that was adequate for your needs? The fact that Gibson sells another package with slightly different contents comes as no surprise. Did you go on the Gibson website to see how the contents of the two guitar care packages compared before purchasing the second one?

Do you realize that the finish materials used on Gibsons since the 1930's has remained basically unchanged, and that you would probably use the same cleaning/polishing materials on a 50 year-old-guitar that you would use on a modern guitar?

Have you ever checked the labels on the same brand of spray insecticide on products designated for ants versus products specified for roaches? Do it sometime, and then try to sue the insecticide manufacturer for false advertising, since the amount and concentration of active ingredients is exactly the same.

Edit:

I went on the Gibson website, and looked at the contents of the two maintenance packages you bought. Both have exactly the same metal polish, fretboard conditioner, and finishing cream, and they say so on the description of each package. One kit has one additional polishing cloth, plus a guitar strap, and a little bucket which holds all the products. If you click on the details, it is obvious what is the same, and what is different.

There is no attempt to deceive. Maybe some folks don't want or need the extra cloth and the guitar strap.

Hi Everyone:

A couple weeks ago I purchased a pre-owned 2010 Les Paul Junior 1957 Reissue in Faded Cherry. Beautiful guitar! I wanted to purchase some cleaner and polish for it, and Gibson was the natural choice. The Custom Shop said I should purchase the Vintage Reissue Restoration Kit for $17, which I did. The other product Gibson sells, the regular Guitar Care Pack for $40, I had already bought and had not finished up.

Turns out that the restoration kit has the same cleaner, conditioner, and polish as the guitar care kit. The only thing you get in the restoration kit that is different is a metal cleaner application brush.

Basically, I paid $17 for material I already owned. As an attorney, in my opinion, this is deceptive advertising by Gibson as the Vintage Reissue Restoration Kit is virtually identical to the non-reissue package. Why a legacy guitar company like Gibson would do this is beyond me.

Given this deception, why should I purchase another Custom Shop guitar (which was my plan)?

Really? I thought I was thin skinned and tight...

Restoration Kit - the key words in the product title - have nothing to do with plastic buckets, straps, a small metal brush, and an extra cloth. The key components are the bottles. Certainly if I did a comparison - or better yet, if Gibson provided a chart providing the comparison and a guide - I would not have purchased what the Custom Shop recommended.

The fact remains that both packages are titled differently and have implied different markets. And the fact that the Custom Shop recommended one knowing that I had bought the other (and didn't mention them being the same in the important way) tells me they will shade as necessary to close the deal. Hardly an honest supplier.

It is also telling that five days ago I re-contacted the Custom Shop, informed them that their "restoration kit" is the same as the "care pack" in all material respects, and haven't heard from them in response. That is not the customer service that purchasers of Custom Shop guitars should receive.

Basically, I paid $17 for material I already owned. As an attorney, in my opinion, this is deceptive advertising by Gibson

Edit:

I went on the Gibson website, and looked at the contents of the two maintenance packages you bought. Both have exactly the same metal polish, fretboard conditioner, and finishing cream, and they say so on the description of each package. One kit has one additional polishing cloth, plus a guitar strap, and a little bucket which holds all the products. If you click on the details, it is obvious what is the same, and what is different.

There is no attempt to deceive. Maybe some folks don't want or need the extra cloth and the guitar strap.

Restoration Kit - the key words in the product title - have nothing to do with plastic buckets, straps, a small metal brush, and an extra cloth. The key components are the bottles. Certainly if I did a comparison - or better yet, if Gibson provided a chart providing the comparison and a guide - I would not have purchased what the Custom Shop recommended.

It is also telling that five days ago I re-contacted the Custom Shop, informed them that their "restoration kit" is the same as the "care pack" in all material respects, and haven't heard from them in response.

"Personal responsibility". Try it.

Sorry to be such a scrooge, but it gets under my skin a bit when someone throws the lawyer card out and wants to blame others with subtle threats about lawsuits, which just causes more problems for society as a whole.

Truth is, if you are this much of a problem with buying a little polish, you shouldn't blame anyone if they don't want to sell you a guitar. You're more of a risk or a headache than it's worth.

"Personal Responsibility".

"Personal responsibility". Try it.

Sorry to be such a scrooge, but it gets under my skin a bit when someone throws the lawyer card out and wants to blame others with subtle threats about lawsuits, which just causes more problems for society as a whole.

Truth is, if you are this much of a problem with buying a little polish, you shouldn't blame anyone if they don't want to sell you a guitar. You're more of a risk or a headache than it's worth.

"Personal Responsibility".

Actually, the phrase, "corporate accountability" is more the lesson here. Glad to hear that we have a few people on the board who are willing to cut the Custom Shop some slack. Maybe you are Gibson employees?

The fact remains that both packages are titled differently and have implied different markets. And the fact that the Custom Shop recommended one knowing that I had bought the other (and didn't mention them being the same in the important way) tells me they will shade as necessary to close the deal. Hardly an honest supplier.

It is also telling that five days ago I re-contacted the Custom Shop, informed them that their "restoration kit" is the same as the "care pack" in all material respects, and haven't heard from them in response. That is not the customer service that purchasers of Custom Shop guitars should receive.

#1........restoration KIT......kit implies multiple parts

#2..........it's $17 worth of stuff that you'd use eventually anyway

#3.......I can't believe anyone paying the money for "Custom shop" guitars is going to get all wound up over $17

#4.......I normally don't post negative comments......hate to actually, but I take offense to your original comment due to the fact that it is a perfect example of what is wrong with our country right now......it's a cleaning kit.....you bought the wrong one.....but that is Gibson's fault???? GET OVER IT....it's stuff like this that explains why my cup of HOT coffee every morning has to have a hundred "caution hot" warnings on it

Sorry everyone, but I couldn't keep this one inside.

NHTom

Guest Farnsbarns

I find it extremely hard to believe the OP was written by a lawyer.

Oh and as to why you should purchase another CS guitar. No reason we can give. If you want one enough to get past the $17 you feel you were mislead into paying then do, if not, don't.

Archived