Gibson Brands Forums

Chet Atkins SST

wtp

Just got a '91 SST. Any one got any info on the care and feeding of this thing? Of course, it didn't come with any info. Should I keep a humidifier in the case like with a regular acoustic? Any recommendation on strings? This thing plays almost like an electric and has some sort of electric strings on it, but still gives a credible acoustic sound when plugged in. Not sure I want to go with regular acoustic strings on it. It is in very good shape, with minimal pick scratching on the top. I would like to keep it that way. Does anyone know of some kind of clear overlay that I could put on the top that won't damage it? Some kind of static film, maybe? Been wanting one for a while, and so far I really like this thing!

• 1 month later...

Just got a '91 SST. Any one got any info on the care and feeding of this thing? Of course, it didn't come with any info. Should I keep a humidifier in the case like with a regular acoustic? Any recommendation on strings? This thing plays almost like an electric and has some sort of electric strings on it, but still gives a credible acoustic sound when plugged in. Not sure I want to go with regular acoustic strings on it. It is in very good shape, with minimal pick scratching on the top. I would like to keep it that way. Does anyone know of some kind of clear overlay that I could put on the top that won't damage it? Some kind of static film, maybe? Been wanting one for a while, and so far I really like this thing!

Good luck with your SST. I have a 1994 CEC and I love it!

Archived