Gibson Brands Forums

Ernie Ball

SteveT2

Just strung up my SG with some Super Slinkys. Not the best feeling or sounding strings, as a matter of fact they'll probably come off tomorrow. But I have to give them credit for still using individually packed strings. Anyone else get annoyed by the new trend of 2 or even all six strings bunched together ? Color coded ends are no good if you can't see them

I always hated the 2 strings per pack. I use GHS boomers on 2 of my 3 Gibson les pauls. I use the Boomers on my 96 studio and my 2012 Zakk Wylde Bullseye and they play and sound great with the active emd 81/85's that I have in them They did not however sound good on my 2015 Gibson Les Paul Classic which I left the stock the pickups in. My 2015 has a 57 classic Neck and Super 57 in the bridge with alinco II magnets and the bridge pickups output is 8.5 Kohms which is much less than my emg's. So I tried differant types of strings including Plain nickle, M-Steels, coated strings. Then I finially found the ones that work perfectly with my 2015. The tone and playability are great. They are the Ernie Ball COBALT Hybrid Slinkys. .009 to .046. The cobalts react with the magnets much better than steel and nickle strings. It almost makes the pickups seem like they have more output (which is one of there selling points). plus it took away the muddyness at the low end. The mids and highs seem to come through much better also. I still use the GHS Boomers on my other 2 Les Pauls but The Ernie Ball COBALTS work much better on my 2015 Gibson Les Paul Classic with the stcok lower output pups.

I always hated the 2 strings per pack. I use GHS boomers on 2 of my 3 Gibson les pauls. I use the Boomers on my 96 studio and my 2012 Zakk Wylde Bullseye and they play and sound great with the active emd 81/85's that I have in them They did not however sound good on my 2015 Gibson Les Paul Classic which I left the stock the pickups in. My 2015 has a 57 classic Neck and Super 57 in the bridge with alinco II magnets and the bridge pickups output is 8.5 Kohms which is much less than my emg's. So I tried differant types of strings including Plain nickle, M-Steels, coated strings. Then I finially found the ones that work perfectly with my 2015. The tone and playability are great. They are the Ernie Ball COBALT Hybrid Slinkys. .009 to .046. The cobalts react with the magnets much better than steel and nickle strings. It almost makes the pickups seem like they have more output (which is one of there selling points). plus it took away the muddyness at the low end. The mids and highs seem to come through much better also. I still use the GHS Boomers on my other 2 Les Pauls but The Ernie Ball COBALTS work much better on my 2015 Gibson Les Paul Classic with the stcok lower output pups.

I might give the cobalts a try. I still haven't found a set that just wows me on the SG after 2 years. I do keep going back to DR. Boomers weren't bad either. Hopefully getting a Lester in a couple weeks so the search continues. Factory strings on the ones I tried in the store were pretty underwhelming

The cobalts are good sounding strings, but you may not like the feel, takes some getting used to on a fresh set.

the M-Steels are the "next gen" they feel a little more like nickle but tend to have a similar response as the cobalts.

The cobalts are good sounding strings, but you may not like the feel, takes some getting used to on a fresh set.

the M-Steels are the "next gen" they feel a little more like nickle but tend to have a similar response as the cobalts.

These felt better the next day after they'd been played on for a couple hours. So I like them a little better but the search continues

These felt better the next day after they'd been played on for a couple hours. So I like them a little better but the search continues

yes they do seem to get better after they've been used a bit. I think they do live up to the marketing hype.

• 2 weeks later...

I used to use Ernie ball strings. Used to very frequently snap strings! So I switched to D'addario strings. Haven't snapped a string for 5 years (knock on wood) I recently tried the "new improved" strings by addario. "NYXL" im very impressed with them. Totally changes the feel of the guitar. Bends are easier, and they last WAY longer then conventional strings! $12 a set but it is well worth it [thumbup]

I used to use Ernie ball strings. Used to very frequently snap strings! So I switched to D'addario strings. Haven't snapped a string for 5 years (knock on wood) I recently tried the "new improved" strings by addario. "NYXL" im very impressed with them. Totally changes the feel of the guitar. Bends are easier, and they last WAY longer then conventional strings! $12 a set but it is well worth it [thumbup]

I'm getting a new Lester in the next week or so. Might try the Ds on it. No telling how long the factory strings have been. Should have gotten the serial number off of it, could have looked it up

I actually appreciate the reduced packaging with bundling strings together, but I do feel sorry for color blind players.

I swore by Ernie Balls for a long time. I felt like they were super consistent, and I used to replace strings often. For a while I used the Hybrid set, then I switched to Regular Slinky (10's). On my SG, I tried a pack of Gibson Vintage Re-issues. Loved them, then started putting Gibson Vintage 11's on that guitar.

Used fist GHS Boomers, then I changed the pickups from 490R/498T to 57 Classic/Angus Young Signature.

Didn't like the Boomers anymore, then I used Gibson Bright Wires for some time.

Cool sound but they felt and sounded fresh only a couple of weeks.

Spent some months with Cleartones good sound, and they last anoyingly long, but something didn't feel right.

After that came D'addario EXL110, never looked back.

Still have to try a set with balanced tension I bought out of curiosity.

But right now I'm using NYXL's and they are awesome, I may stick with them.

And D'addari should do the same thing they do on their Pro Arte classical nylon strings, little stickers to label them.

By the way those sound pretty nice on my girlfriend's Alhambra flamenco guitar.

• 3 weeks later...

Just strung up my SG with some Super Slinkys. Not the best feeling or sounding strings, as a matter of fact they'll probably come off tomorrow. But I have to give them credit for still using individually packed strings. Anyone else get annoyed by the new trend of 2 or even all six strings bunched together ? Color coded ends are no good if you can't see them

I prefer the individual string envelopes,,not 'combined' style packing,,,but I use D'addario's .008's,,Ive had the best luck over the years with those. Although,,many places dont even carry .008's on there shelves. Not a big seller I guess. Strings like most things are subjective to 'personal preference I guess.,all the best to ya.

Archived