Gibson Brands Forums

Identifying an Unknown Gibson Banjo

I am cross-posting this from the regular instrument ID forum.

Hello! I have a Gibson banjo that I have been playing on for the past 6 months or so, yet I know little to nothing about it.

The previous owner was the late grandfather of a friend of mine. All I know about it is anecdotal. Apparently, it is in some way "custom" (don't know quite what it means). The only other thing I know is that he was offered 6 thousand dollars for it at one point, which he turned down.

The serial number is 907-4, and there are no stickers inside. There appears to be two spots (one in resonator, one inside rim) where there used to be stickers, but now they're just faded.

I took a lot of photos, so here is a link to the album: http://imgur.com/a/6oCBR

Is there anything that you can tell me about it?

Thanks!

So I've learned. Either way, I love the instrument. The weight of it alone makes it feel solid to play, and it just sings!

Still a Nice banjo and congrats... Hope you can find the positive info your wanting.. I know nothing about Banjos.. just what Ive seen and heard at a friends store in Montana and his wealth of knowledge given..

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Archived