Gibson Brands Forums

custom colors on EB-2 basses

DCBirdMan

Well there was loasds of suburst, cherry burst and some walnut in later years, natural in early years.

As far as custom colors I know of Pel Blue, Burgundy metallic.. any others noted?

I would like to score a righteous rare finish EB-2 bass in screamin clean condition

. Yeah, I know some peeps say EB-2s are for dorks... then ok, I'm a dork.

I'm a dork! Not custom colors but Dorkable none the less.........

PairK.jpg

There was a dude in Canada with a huge collection of EB-2's, This might be him.........

http://www.talkbass.com/threads/vintage-gibson-eb2-eb2d-basses.962845/

I aee that one of those appears to be a '68.

Nice examples, and way you look at it. One of these would go nicely with my '68 ES 335-12.

outsidenoflash.jpg

Hi J45nick,

I sort of pair Gibson guitars & basses.......... I have one more EB-2. It's a 1959 & I also have a 1968 ES-335 12..........

PairF.jpg

It's nice to see you still have witch hats on your 335-12. That's the only non-original bit on mine.

The ES 335-12 is a neat guitar, but I rarely play mine, and am really more of an acoustic guy. The ES 335-12 will move on when I find a good home for it. Mine was an under-the-bed type of guitar: rarely played, apparently, since it literally has only one small ding on the back, no wear, and very little lacquer checking.

It's nice to see you still have witch hats on your 335-12. That's the only non-original bit on mine.

The ES 335-12 is a neat guitar, but I rarely play mine, and am really more of an acoustic guy. The ES 335-12 will move on when I find a good home for it. Mine was an under-the-bed type of guitar: rarely played, apparently, since it literally has only one small ding on the back, no wear, and very little lacquer checking.

I rarely play mine also. It too was in "Under the Bed" condition. A gal approached me at a guitar show, the dealers were only offering her $600 to $800 at the time. It was her sisters, she passed away many years earlier. I told her to hang on to it, it would go up in value. She said that she wanted to sell it now. I drove all of the way home & stewed over it, contacted her & made an offer. She took it & I drove another 10 hours round trip to buy it the next weekend. I believe Gibson Memphis reissued it last year, so there must be a renewed interest in it again.

• 2 weeks later...

The re-issues have a wider neck, I believe 1 3/4" at the nut. This would make it more user-friendly for a lot of people.

Glad I started this topic. That sunburst EB 2 is a beauty. A reissue ES 335-12. Will have to look that one up. The necks were just too narrow on the originals -- most people agree.

Archived