Gibson Brands Forums

Replacing an SG Nut

Having just purchased a 2013 SG 61 Reissue I have noticed that the nut appears to set the strings rather high from the fretboard, this appears to be a common issue from what I have read in the literature. My feeler gauge indicates it is 0.7mm. As I don't own the appropriate files (saws) to deepen the string notch in the nut I am thinking about removing the nut and reducing the height of the nut by diligently filing. I know this will be a protracted exercise but feel more comfortable with this option.

Are pre-slotted nuts an option to experiment with as I don't want to destroy the original nut?

Your responses and thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

Mike from Australia

Hi Mike. I think you are going about this all wrong. From my limited experience it is better to work from the top. Any pre slotted nuts are sure to be as miserable fit as what you currently have. A set of nut slotting files are fairly expensive but you can get a set of torch tip cleaners for just a small amount and they will work just fine. Set up measurements can easily be found on the net The best approach is to deepen the individual slots. If you take material off of the bottom you run the risk of some being too low, etc.

Kudos for doing or wanting to do your own setup. Once I learned how to change strings, saddles and nuts were next. There is no turning back.

Welcome and cheers,

alias

I agree with allasphobias 100%, mate.

Making the necessary (slight) modifications to the top of the nut is very easy.

Pulling the nut out and filing the bottom it is quite a chore, and it runs you the risk of damaging the guitar, and harming the resale value.

If you cannot locate the files you need, an old (wound) guitar string will do the trick.

You just wrap it around both your paws, lower the center of the string into each groove one at a time, and run the abrasive string back and forth.

Gently, and easy does it; It doesn't take much to lower the action quite a bit.

Hello Michael and welcome to the Forums!

I completely agree with the guys above. Changing (or removing/reinstalling) the nut is more complicated than slotting it. Not to mention, it's only going to lead You back where it all started. The new nut will be needed to be adjusted to the guitar as well. It only worth doing that way, if You're replacing the stock nut with a high quality one, like Tusq.

I also have to mention, that slotting has it's own technique too! Please refer to "How to..." videos on Stewart-MacDonald's site. They are excellent for describing setup procedures.

Good luck... Bence

Hi Mike. I think you are going about this all wrong. From my limited experience it is better to work from the top. Any pre slotted nuts are sure to be as miserable fit as what you currently have. A set of nut slotting files are fairly expensive but you can get a set of torch tip cleaners for just a small amount and they will work just fine. Set up measurements can easily be found on the net The best approach is to deepen the individual slots. If you take material off of the bottom you run the risk of some being too low, etc.

Kudos for doing or wanting to do your own setup. Once I learned how to change strings, saddles and nuts were next. There is no turning back.

Welcome and cheers,

alias

Well thanks for your answer, I was afraid that you and the other responders would all suggest that I deepen the slots. I don't want to damage the guitar and it appears that this option is the safest.

Although I have done a fair amount of woodworking in my life (now 69 years young)constructing speaker boxes, amplifier cabinets etc I am not comfortable with the fine degree of workmanship that will be required to accomplish a quality result.

I think I'll purchase the saws and then experiment on some plastic or other material to hone my skills. As they say, hasten slowly!

Thanks an have a great Christmas. Mike

After reading your reply I am still not sure how you are going to proceed. After years fiddling with feeler gauges I bought one of these:http://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tools/Tools_by_Job/Tools_for_Measuring/Nut_Slotting_Gauge.html

A liitle bit expensive but perfect results every time. Stewmac, if you are not familiar does a great job shipping and their customer service is second to none.

G'luck!

Hello Michael and welcome to the Forums!

I completely agree with the guys above. Changing (or removing/reinstalling) the nut is more complicated than slotting it. Not to mention, it's only going to lead You back where it all started. The new nut will be needed to be adjusted to the guitar as well. It only worth doing that way, if You're replacing the stock nut with a high quality one, like Tusq.

I also have to mention, that slotting has it's own technique too! Please refer to "How to..." videos on Stewart-MacDonald's site. They are excellent for describing setup procedures.

Good luck... Bence

Agree with all, and agree with those who agree.

I think what BTOTH is trying to say but maybe not so clear, is in the end, you are going to want to re-slot the nut anyway. As in, doesn't make sense to replace the nut because if you do, chances are pretty good the slots will need work.

Nut adjustment, in particular the slots, is one of the most important and overlooked part of the way a guitar plays and tunes.

Sure it takes practice, but if you have woodworking skills, you are way ahead of the game. No doubt you can do it.

I could offer some tips, but it will have to be later.

Archived