Gibson Brands Forums

Which LP for me??

design8r

Hey all this is my first post,

i've been playing guitar since about 1989. I've mostly been into heavy metal/hardcore but also warm blues sounds. My main electric guitars to date have been Washburn and ESP. I have decided its time to get my first Les Paul but with so much out there i'm kinda stumped. What should a go for considering my kind of music? i'm willing to spend about $3500 for a new guitar.

thx

Hey all this is my first post' date='

i've been playing guitar since about 1989. I've mostly been into heavy metal/hardcore but also warm blues sounds. My main electric guitars to date have been Washburn and ESP. I have decided its time to get my first Les Paul but with so much out there i'm kinda stumped. What should a go for considering my kind of music? i'm willing to spend about $3500 for a new guitar.

thx[/quote']

if you want metal, try the LP Menace that has EMGs in it. A good all around Paul is the Studio. the 490/498 PU combo gives it a bit darker sound that handles high gain better than the PAF clones (BBs, 57 Classics, etc) and it will still get warm blues or classic crunch if you want it to. some will say the Classic because of the high output ceramic PUs, but I dont use my Classic for metal.

Or you could do what I did, and buy an SG Std (again 490/498 PUs) or SG Menace. I think the SG is better overall for metal, but thats just MHO. Hope this helps.

I just answered that question for myself... I've spent about 1 year patiently awaiting that moment when my next guitar would be placed in my hands.

I bought a 2007 LP classic custom silverburst that is awesome. It has classic '57 pups in it, and they are awesome, but they do need some attention when you need things quiet, via volume adjustments etc. but that is a moot sacrifice. Because of this, I'm suggesting the Classic Custom, or Classic antique (look for the holly on the headstock!!)

The EMG LP's are nice, and will accomplish the task well, but I found each EMG loaded LP to be the same guitar, each sounded identical, not necessarily a bad thing though.

I too agree that an SG std would be an excellent choice, I have a special faded SG (moon inlays) and it sounds awesome. A number of my buddies currently touring play SG's as well. Give it a try, seriously!! You could get two for your goal price!!

Here's some of my guidelines:

- Try to find an ebony neck regardless of LP or SG, they have bite that others don't.

- balance the guitar with your amp, sometimes vintage pickups with low output will sound better than a high output p/u.

- try the guitar on a similar set-up to your own before you buy.

- listen.

Good Luck!!

Hey all this is my first post' date='

thx[/quote']

Try every LP you can get your hands on (Customs, Standards, Classics, etc) and see if one in particular stands out. I would not recommend buying online since their neck profiles can differ some much in thickness. Some 50s necks are way thick, some are thinner and feel more like a 60s neck than 50s neck. I have a 04 standard with a 50s neck but its quite a bit thinner than other 50s necks ive played (Mine feels closer to a 60s neck than a 50s neck IMO).

Archived