Gibson Brands Forums

Kalamazoo KG-1 innotation problem

randypoznan

Hi need help fixing my 1966 Gibson Kalamazoo KG-1 electric guitar.

The bridge is replaced with a Les Paul JR Gibson bridge that has non adjustable innotation. The original Kalamazoo bridge which I still have is a Gibson Les Paul JR or melody maker bridge but it has a notch in the G or 3rd string that cannot be fixed and made guitar unplayable with modern strings. The original nut is gone and it has a plastic nut that I don't know a lot about. I had a tech install the bridge and they adjusted it so all strings are at least the same out of tune on a fret. When I play from any fret its about 2 lines sharp on my digital tuner. What happens if bridge goes closer to guitar? It seems to be adjusted further from the nut. I attached some pictures. Also this nut is definitely not like the original Kalamazoo nut and when the old bridge was on it was a lot more out of tune. Would a new nut fix the problem? Which way would you adjust the bridge in or out? I am hoping to get this fixed as is its not good to be out tune, I love the sound of this guitar and it plays better than other guitar I have and its light as a feather. That melody maker soap bar pickup sounds great when you turn it up.

post-75697-034073900 1450799990_thumb.jpg

post-75697-071694600 1450799998_thumb.jpg

Hi need help fixing my 1966 Gibson Kalamazoo KG-1 electric guitar.

The bridge is replaced with a Les Paul JR Gibson bridge that has non adjustable innotation. The original Kalamazoo bridge which I still have is a Gibson Les Paul JR or melody maker bridge but it has a notch in the G or 3rd string that cannot be fixed and made guitar unplayable with modern strings. The original nut is gone and it has a plastic nut that I don't know a lot about. I had a tech install the bridge and they adjusted it so all strings are at least the same out of tune on a fret. When I play from any fret its about 2 lines sharp on my digital tuner. What happens if bridge goes closer to guitar? It seems to be adjusted further from the nut. I attached some pictures. Also this nut is definitely not like the original Kalamazoo nut and when the old bridge was on it was a lot more out of tune. Would a new nut fix the problem? Which way would you adjust the bridge in or out? I am hoping to get this fixed as is its not good to be out tune, I love the sound of this guitar and it plays better than other guitar I have and its light as a feather. That melody maker soap bar pickup sounds great when you turn it up.

That bridge can be moved. Play the 12 fret harmonic and if all the notes fretted at the twelfth are sharp you need to lengthen the string, move the bridge away. It will never be perfect but it can be close.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived