Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone EJ200 Strings

elz1903

My Epi still has the original strings if I went for Rotosound JK12's for example would this be a simple straight swap the top E string is slightly thicker than the ones that come with it from the factory.

Not really sure what you are asking. You can put on any strings you like.

I was reading that if you fit slightly thicker strings then you may have to get the action lowered?

The thickness of the strings itself has no effect on the action of a guitar, since no matter how "thick" the string it lies equally flat on sattle and bridge; in other words, the distance from fretboard to string underside always remains the same. For example, .013" strings are only minisculely thicker than .012" ones.

Higher string tension or string gauge (e.g., lights vs. mediums) can have an effect on action however, as it puts more pressure on the neck often requiring a re-adjustment of the truss rod, which you can do by yourself.

For the EJ-200 I'd start with .012" J-200 Gibson strings, with the aim to finally settle on medium-gauge .013" strings to get the most sound out of the big jumbo.

The J-200 strings I saw are all are medium gauge... maybe they are available in light, but I haven't seen them.

I have them on my EJ-200sce and they fit in the nut slots just fine.

However... when they need replacing, I'm going back to Elixer PB mediums.

The J-200 strings I saw are all are medium gauge... maybe they are available in light, but I haven't seen them.

http://www.sweetwater.com/c927--Acoustic_Guitar_Strings?params=eyJmYWNldCI6eyJCcmFuZCI6WyJHaWJzb24gQWNjZXNzb3JpZXMiXX19

It's kinda ironic that I couldn't wait to rip my brand-new Elixier PB (Ultra) Lights off my baby (SQ-180 ND) to replace them with J-200 PB Lights.

It's kinda ironic that I couldn't wait to rip my brand-new Elixier PB (Ultra) Lights off my baby (SQ-180 ND) to replace them with J-200 PB Lights.

...and was the results what you expected. I broke the upper E string (unknown brand?) of the stock strings that came on my lightly used EJ200SCE/N while replacing the stock Nut/Saddle with Bone. I replaced them with the Elixer Phos Bronze Med/Lights (12-56). I've been playing them for about two months now and am just not satisfied with the way they perform, and even sound compared to the ones that were on it which I have no idea what they were. I've since bought a set of Gibson J200 PB Lights, but as of yet haven't traded them out thinking the Elixers need more time to break in. If I go ahead and trade them out now will I see and feel the difference with the J200s right away?

...and was the results what you expected. I broke the upper E string (unknown brand?) of the stock strings that came on my lightly used EJ200SCE/N while replacing the stock Nut/Saddle with Bone. I replaced them with the Elixer Phos Bronze Med/Lights (12-56). I've been playing them for about two months now and am just not satisfied with the way they perform, and even sound compared to the ones that were on it which I have no idea what they were. I've since bought a set of Gibson J200 PB Lights, but as of yet haven't traded them out thinking the Elixers need more time to break in. If I go ahead and trade them out now will I see and feel the difference with the J200s right away?

The switch to the rich and full sound of Gibson Jumbo strings was the right thing to do for my small-jumbo Epiphone. Had my local luthier had Gibson strings I would have settled for them right away while he was setting up the guitar.

To my ear, the Elixier PB strings sound as if they are, for guitar strings, never at their 100% in terms of tonal performance -- more like 80%ish; with Elixier one trades in tonal performance for string longevity. I have, however, not meddled with their Mediums, only their Lights and Ultra Lights in various forms (PB, Nanoweb, etc).

If you put on your brand-new J-200 strings, you're going to notice a krass difference in sound right away. And in my experience the Elixiers never break in. In hindsight, Elixiers are more the type of strings I would fit onto Ovation guitars (if any) or if I wouldn't be playing guitar on a frequent basis.

The switch to the rich and full sound of Gibson Jumbo strings was the right thing to do for my small-jumbo Epiphone. Had my local luthier had Gibson strings I would have settled for them right away while he was setting up the guitar.

To my ear, the Elixier PB strings sound as if they are, for guitar strings, never at their 100% in terms of tonal performance -- more like 80%ish; with Elixier one trades in tonal performance for string longevity. I have, however, not meddled with their Mediums, only their Lights and Ultra Lights in various forms (PB, Nanoweb, etc).

If you put on your brand-new J-200 strings, you're going to notice a krass difference in sound right away. And in my experience the Elixiers never break in. In hindsight, Elixiers are more the type of strings I would fit onto Ovation guitars (if any) or if I wouldn't be playing guitar on a frequent basis.

Partner..I'm gonna run with your opinion and restring mine with the J200 PB Lights also. From what I've read and researched, and by your comments also, it strikes me that the Elixers are a long lasting string, but you do forfeit a variable of tonal quality depending on the guitar you string them with. I'm for cranking out all the quality sound that this Jumbo can produce, so the Gibson J200s, being guitar body specific, seem to be the most practical choice. I'll keep you updated on how this comes out. And thanks for your opinions and information, it's greatly appreciated !!

What makes Gibson J200 strings different to their Masterbuilt strings? Why a string specific to a guitar? I notice that the J200 strings have silk wrap on the end, same as the Martin Marquis.

If we believe what's printed on the packaging, then the J-200 strings are slowly wound on top of having silk wraps on the end, both of which don't find mention on the Masterbuilt packaging. As to whether there are differences in wire diameter for the core and winding between the J-200 and Masterbuilt strings, we can but suspect.

• 2 weeks later...

Partner..I'm gonna run with your opinion and restring mine with the J200 PB Lights also. From what I've read and researched, and by your comments also, it strikes me that the Elixers are a long lasting string, but you do forfeit a variable of tonal quality depending on the guitar you string them with. I'm for cranking out all the quality sound that this Jumbo can produce, so the Gibson J200s, being guitar body specific, seem to be the most practical choice. I'll keep you updated on how this comes out. And thanks for your opinions and information, it's greatly appreciated !!

I wanted to get back in here and update this post as I said I would. I wound up running the Elixers for several more weeks of at least a hour a day playing, just to give them a full break in and show their stuff. In the mean time I did get some Gibson J200 lights in preparation to change the Elixers out. I also wanted to work up the nerve to change out the old Plastic Saddle with a new Bone Saddle. Knowing there was going to be some trimming, fitting and reshaping involved in getting the new Saddle to fit like the old plastic did without going to far had me a bit fearful, but in the end I overcame the anxiety, and went ahead like I knew what I was doing. I just finished the transition and I am really glad that I did. I fit the new Saddle in it's slot perfectly, restrung it with the J200s and all I can say is ... YES, you can tell the difference between the two string sets. The J200s are amazingly rich in tone and overall quality of sound. I wasn't really looking for overall volume, just overall tonal quality, and the difference between the two sets was striking. I think that's all I can add. I will never get any other strings for my Epiphone EJ200SCE/N other than the Gibson J200 strings. And a side note, the Bone Nut/Saddle change-out in my opinion is a must do for these big bodied babies. This guitar just keeps getting better and better !!

My humble recommendation would be to try a set of D'Addario EFT Flat Tops. I play light gauge EFT-16 12-53s on an Ovation and I am totally in love with them.

I tried their EXPs and now I'm completely put off from using coated strings. I couldn't wait to change them. When I tried the EFTs - that was it.

The drawback is they cost more and may not last as long but the fantastic reduction in finger noise is more than worth it to me. You may have to order them online. A lot of stores don't stock them.

I also own an EJ212 and I'm seriously considering buying an extra set and extra strings to make up my own 12-string Flat Top set. If it was a EJ200, it would have EFTs.

Archived