Gibson Brands Forums

Thoughts on the AJ22OS

revolver66

Hi everyone. Long time since I been on the forum. As the very happy owner of a Indonesian built IB 1964 Texan, I have been thinking about adding another Epiphone to the stable. As a financially strapped 50 something I have a small budget.

I was wondering about people's thoughts about the AJ220s. What I have read seems very positive. Sounds like a cannon etc etc. However can people confirm that it definitely is a SOLID TOP as I really don't want a laminate.

My old hometown guitar store has one in stock, and between Christmas and New Year i hope to try it out. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Compliments of the season to you all

And seasons greetings to you from another fifty something.

First off I can confirm that the AJ-220S has a solid top, that's what the "s" in the name stands for.

You're actually asking a week or so too early. I live in Holland but have family in the UK, and while visiting them last year I was let down on a loan guitar and suddenly found myself facing the prospect of two whole weeks with no guitar to play, nightmare! So after an initial fit of panic I had a look around online and found the AJ-220S for a fantastic price and next day delivery, I had recently bought my first Masterbilt here in Holland and had become a bit of an Epiphone fan so I took a punt and bought it. Now, I only played it for two weeks last January and left it there for my next visit, but I thought at the time it was a fantastic guitar for the price (as did everyone else who heard it).

I'm going back to the UK on January 2nd for a whole month and I'm really looking forward to re-bonding with the AJ (and seeing my family obviously [biggrin] ) I recently arranged to have it set up, it was perfectly playable out of the box but hopefully will have benefited from a little tweaking, and the guy who did the work apparently fell in love with my guitar. So now it's sitting there waiting for my arrival in a week and a half ready to go, after which I can probably give a better report on the guitar itself.

And seasons greetings to you from another fifty something.

First off I can confirm that the AJ-220S has a solid top, that's what the "s" in the name stands for.

You're actually asking a week or so too early. I live in Holland but have family in the UK, and while visiting them last year I was let down on a loan guitar and suddenly found myself facing the prospect of two whole weeks with no guitar to play, nightmare! So after an initial fit of panic I had a look around online and found the AJ-220S for a fantastic price and next day delivery, I had recently bought my first Masterbilt here in Holland and had become a bit of an Epiphone fan so I took a punt and bought it. Now, I only played it for two weeks last January and left it there for my next visit, but I thought at the time it was a fantastic guitar for the price (as did everyone else who heard it).

I'm going back to the UK on January 2nd for a whole month and I'm really looking forward to re-bonding with the AJ (and seeing my family obviously [biggrin] ) I recently arranged to have it set up, it was perfectly playable out of the box but hopefully will have benefited from a little tweaking, and the guy who did the work apparently fell in love with my guitar. So now it's sitting there waiting for my arrival in a week and a half ready to go, after which I can probably give a better report on the guitar itself.

Thanks Irish Rover. I hoped the 'S'meant solid. I have a bit of Crimbo money and if it is half the guitar my IB Texan is, then I will buy. Hope your AJ reunion is a sweet one.

I had an AJ200S which was a forerunner to the AJ220S and for the money it was a fantastic guitar. Great sound - easy to play. Probably the perfect guitar to sing with. After a few years it sounded amazing; almost bought another recently but it's a bit similar to my EJ160E - wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

Revolver, the aj 220s is a fantastic guitar. Get an indonesian one if you can they are far better than the chineses versions . Indonesian epipis have a 23 in the middle of the serial number. And neck adjustment is at the head stock, both have a truss rod cover but look in the sound hole - if truss rod adjustment is there it's chinese.

Revolver, the aj 220s is a fantastic guitar. Get an indonesian one if you can they are far better than the chineses versions . Indonesian epipis have a 23 in the middle of the serial number. And neck adjustment is at the head stock, both have a truss rod cover but look in the sound hole - if truss rod adjustment is there it's chinese.

Alternatively you could just look for the sticker on the back of the headstock where it says "Made in Indonesia".

Sorry Mick, as somebody once said - " I'll get my coat." [biggrin]

Alternatively you could just look for the sticker on the back of the headstock where it says "Made in Indonesia".

Sorry Mick, as somebody once said - " I'll get my coat." [biggrin]

But I always take mine off. The sticker not the coat. Well the coat as well but you know what i mean. All the best irish

The AJ-220S is a very good guitar. Put a bit of money into it and it becomes practically world class.

I recommend the following to make this guitar all it can be:

Fret dressing

Bone nut upgrade

Proper setup with action set to your preference

The AJ-220S has a sugary sweet woody tone to it that is unique. It is the perfect companion to a well set up Texan.

Epiphone have a new youtube ad out for the aj220s. It states that it has a solid hog body, I wish!!

That's a bit naughty.

A charitable person might say it was a small oversight that may unfortunately mislead people. Whereas a cynic would say that it's a blatant lie to fool people into thinking they're getting something that they're not.

Does nobody at Epiphone check these things?

That's a bit naughty.

A charitable person might say it was a small oversight that may unfortunately mislead people. Whereas a cynic would say that it's a blatant lie to fool people into thinking they're getting something that they're not.

Does nobody at Epiphone check these things?

That's a shame...I thought that couldn't be, but I found the video and sure enough...25 seconds into it says, "the body is made of solid mahogany."

Now, why would they do that? It's on the official Epiphone channel, too.

That's a shame...I thought that couldn't be, but I found the video and sure enough...25 seconds into it says, "the body is made of solid mahogany."

After listening again I would guess that the narrator just slipped in another "solid" there are many repeats of the word.. But then again a couple of years back I bought an Epi AJ45 1963 or something like that and they were advertised as having a solid top. They were over a third more than the aj220s. When I got mine it was clear it was all laminate. I emailed dealers in the Uk and the USA who were all advertising the solid top. I noticed the price went down shortly after and I was told by more than one dealer that they had only reproduced the Epiphone spec.

P.S. It's fortunate we sre here!!!

• 4 weeks later...

I bought an AJ200S while I was in Afghanistan in 2009. Needed a cheap guitar to fill the down time over there. What I got was inexpensive not cheap. Ive had it ever since and it gets better sounding every year. As to the solid body comment, I think that was just a unfortunate mistake by the person in the video, as it does have a solid top and back but not sides. Its a really comfortable guitar to play as well. I recommend this guitar to everyone. I upgraded the saddle and set the action just like I like it, and that really did make it a world class guitar IMHO. I like it so much I bought another in vintage sunburst which should be here any day now. I also have the FT79 and they are basically the same guitar. The FT79 has a few more bells and whistles but are very similar.

The AJ-200S and the AJ-220S both have a solid top and laminate back and sides.

I stand corrected, I'm sorry about that. I got the stats for another guitar all mixed up; and in my reply I meant to be talking about my AJ220S not the AJ200. The AJ220S indeed does have a "select mahogany" Back and sides. My apologies. The last thing I want to do is spread inaccurate information.

I stand corrected, I'm sorry about that. I got the stats for another guitar all mixed up; and in my reply I meant to be talking about my AJ220S not the AJ200. The AJ220S indeed does have a "select mahogany" Back and sides. My apologies. The last thing I want to do is spread inaccurate information.

All good, my man!

I want to pile on here before this thread gets any older, but it is my opinion that the previous responders failed to use enough superlatives to describe this guitar. I will, however, contain my enthusiasm and simply reiterate a couple things previously stated.

The guitar has a solid top.

The Indonesian guitars I saw are of significantly higher quality than the Chinese guitars.

If I go any further, I will burst into endless praise backed up by quantitative data. So I simply advise the OP to go find the nearest Indonesian AJ220s, fall in love with it, and take it home.

I want to pile on here before this thread gets any older, but it is my opinion that the previous responders failed to use enough superlatives to describe this guitar. I will, however, contain my enthusiasm and simply reiterate a couple things previously stated.

The guitar has a solid top.

The Indonesian guitars I saw are of significantly higher quality than the Chinese guitars.

If I go any further, I will burst into endless praise backed up by quantitative data. So I simply advise the OP to go find the nearest Indonesian AJ220s, fall in love with it, and take it home.

Well put sir.

Archived