Gibson Brands Forums

custom SG with vibrato and case problem

Chain

I bought a custom Gibson SG standard reissue with maestro vibrato. As I have seen so far, it is a widespread issue that when closing the custom case it pushes down the vibrato and by doing so loosening the strings. I have not found a statement by Gibson on how to fix this problem. Will they send me a vibrato with another angle?

I bought a custom Gibson SG standard reissue with maestro vibrato. As I have seen so far, it is a widespread issue that when closing the custom case it pushes down the vibrato and by doing so loosening the strings. I have not found a statement by Gibson on how to fix this problem. Will they send me a vibrato with another angle?

think if you swing the handle so that it points at the bottom strap pin instead of "in use" position the case will shut with out pushing the bar and loosening off the strings.

There should not be a problem shutting the case unless the arm has been damaged or fitted wrong. I have a Lyre on my Kirk Douglas SG Custom and all you do is swing it round to the back and it shuts fine. I also have a Les Paul Custom '57 Reissue with Bigsby and no problems shutting that case either. Sounds like something may be wrong if you are having problems. Take it to a tech if you can't fix the problem yourself.

You MAY(?) have a faulty spring. When I bought my 2013 SG "Original" it had exactly the same problem.

I took photos, of the "arm," in various positions, explained what was going on, to Gibson..and they

replaced the faulty Lyre Vibrato (tailpiece and all) right away! I had my dealer's Luthier install

the replacement, just to be sure it was done correctly, and it's worked like a charm ever since.

The case closes just fine, when the arm is in the correct position=right along side the tailpiece.

And, it's a LOT lower, in the user position, than the faulty one ever was.

I'm sure, with proper documentation, Gibson would do the same for you, IF that's what the problem is.

CB

There's lots of folks experienced with Maestro units here, and a few experts.

I am not one of them.

But if they were to read this and be able to help, might use a pic or two so as to see something you aren't seeing that's wrong here.

I did a lot of reading all across the internet this morning.

It seems as though there are six options:

1. Bend the trem arm so that it is flatter.

2. Order a new trem arm from Allparts.

https://www.allparts.com/tremolo-arms

3. Get a case with less back-padding and therefore more room for the Maestro trem.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/musicians-gear-deluxe-sgs-solid-guitar-style-hardshell-case#productDetail

4. Buy a padded, roomy gig bag.

5. Live with it, and concede that a compressed tremolo equals slack strings while in the case, which is no problem in the first place.

or,

6. Leave it out of the case altogether, and hire a small squad of hungry ninjas to guard and personally carry your Gibson SG to and from gigs.

They don't eat much, you hardly know they are there, and they enhance home security.

:unsure:

ninja.jpg?resize=600%2C337

Archived