Gibson Brands Forums

Need Recommendations from those Who know Thier Stuff

JayinLA

Hey There,

I will get right to it. I am decided on treating myself to a new guitar. Not sure why, but you know how it goes. I am definately going with Les Paul Custom Shop, and based on what I have played at various dealers and such think I have decided on a '58 Reissue.

My question is what is the best year for a '58 re-issue? I prefer the '58 to the '59, maybe I like the neck more, not sure, but unless I can find a "Beast" '58 it is. I do like some of the stuff Gibson can do with thier very clever cloning technology, and see alot of 2014's and 2008's out there. I was wondering why so many of those and what is the best year for a '58.

I would sincerely appreciate any help from anyone who knows.

Regards,

Jay in LA

Hello there,

Yeah we get this a lot on here... But really I think the truth is that every year has good and bad examples so shopping by year is not really the best way to go about this... Plus what feels good to you may not feel so good for someone else, its such a personal thing.

The best and only real thing to do is just go out and play as many as you can... As has been said many times (probably mostly by me :)) all Gibsons are unique in the way that they are all hand finished.... So the tiny and slight differences in setup and neck shape and size is really what makes the biggest difference to a way a guitar feels and plays.

And especially if I had decided to get a custom.. id just go and play as many as I could.. One always jumps out at you.... take your time and find the right one for you, its well worth the end result...

Good luck on the hunt and come back and show us what you end up with (and of course we will want pictures :)) [thumbup]

Also I take it you have seen the True Historic guitars? They are pretty sweet

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2015/Custom/True-Historic-1958-Les-Paul.aspx#LPR8TVDBNH1

So, obvious question: based on "what you played at various dealers" that made you decide you want a '58 RI, what is it about them that made you decide? And why haven't you bought one of those guitars you have tried?

So I guess I feel a difference in the neck and also I was at a well known dealer in Tarzana and plugged into a /13 30 watt with EL84's I believe. In addition to the playability of the '58 as opposed to the '59, Both models I played sounded louder and more warm than any of the several '59 reissue's that they had at the time. I am obviously looking for a used instrument, and the $3500+/- it is going to set me back makes me want to look at as many as I can. So many online, and I cant see em or touch em, or play em. So I was hoping there was a production run that might help me steer towards or away. I will pull the trigger when I am sure I am holding the "one". Until then I have few LP's and some other stuff I might get off of to help pay for my '58.

I like 10's. I like to bend the strings without getting carpal tunnel after 2 days of recording, and a good amp will warm the tone up just fine. But I feel a little shy to ask the shop If I can set the guitar up my way before I play it. Am I being a *****, or should I wait till I'm pretty sure I found the one I want before I string it up, and play with the setup?

I think Gibsons come with 10s anyway (well they used too).....

The thing is I guess that if you are going for a Custom you can be pretty sure the quality of the instrument will be good.... I don't think that's so much an issue as long as they have been kept in good condition... Its just about finding that one that suits you just right..

Sadly theres no shortcuts and no certain model or year we could recommend over another (unless you find an original 59 going cheap ;)).. I mean you could order one online and it may be perfect for you, but unless you can try it, it will always be a slight risk...

HenryJ himself has noted that no two Gibson necks are identical due to handwork on them.

m

Yeah. Not only have I realized that is certainly the case, but when I play the '58 it just seems to have a chubbier neck profile and bigger frets. For a guy like me that likes to bend and tap, it just seems a little slicker on my runs.

Archived