Gibson Brands Forums

Electronics acting weird on LP studio 2015

Greetings.

I recently purchased a Les Paul Studio 2015. It has a very strange problem with the electronics. If I have volume all the way up and treble all the way down on the knobs for either pickup, it sometimes start humming terribly, especially if I touch the cable. If I adjust the volume one notch lower or or the treble one higher it stops and wont start again even if I mess with the cable. I opened up the back but can't find any obvious problems.

Anyone have any ideas of what it could be?

Thanks.

Hello, and welcome here.

This trouble seems odd to me. [unsure] Does operating the toggle switch change anything? Are all the contacts clean, i. e. free of sweat and grease? What's your entire signal chain, and in particular, where do you feed the guitar signal first?

Hello, and welcome here.

This trouble seems odd to me. [unsure] Does operating the toggle switch change anything? Are all the contacts clean, i. e. free of sweat and grease? What's your entire signal chain, and in particular, where do you feed the guitar signal first?

Operating the toggle switch has no effect. Contacts are clean. I tried it plugged straight into a Vyper 100 watt combo and also into my Xbox for playing Rocksmith 2014. It has the problem on both and each has there own cable. It is very perplexing.

I have my amp and xbox set up in one station with a TV, home theater receiver and speakers. Perhaps I am getting interference from poorly shielded cables laying too near other electronics.

This is perplexing indeed. Could it be that the output jack's ground connection is bad? Perhaps there's a slack joint at or near the jack connection on the PCB which is affected by moving the controls. Sorry, but I don't have another idea... :-k

This is perplexing indeed. Could it be that the output jack's ground connection is bad? Perhaps there's a slack joint at or near the jack connection on the PCB which is affected by moving the controls. Sorry, but I don't have another idea... :-k

I was thinking output jack as well. I am very impressed with the plug and play electronics this unit has. I did not know guitar manufactures were doing this. Great idea. Now if I can just get Gibson to sell me a new jack.

I was thinking output jack as well. I am very impressed with the plug and play electronics this unit has. I did not know guitar manufactures were doing this. Great idea. Now if I can just get Gibson to sell me a new jack.

Perhaps carefully unplugging the connector from the PCB, using some contact cleaner and plugging on again will do the trick.

Archived