Gibson Brands Forums

68 reissue

CustomMade

Hello there,

This is my first post so I want to start by saying hello! I have joined because I am taking my interest in guitars to a different level and of course I need guidance on this journey.

I have the chance to buy a 2001 LP Custom 68 reissue in tri burst but a serial number search returns that the guitar was made in 68. Is this right as its a reproduction? Also is it correct that this model would not come with a certificate from the custom shop? Any other guidance and advice in this model would be seriously appreciated along with what I should be looking to pay for this guitar.

Many thanks,

Luke

Guest Farnsbarns

Hello there,

This is my first post so I want to start by saying hello! I have joined because I am taking my interest in guitars to a different level and of course I need guidance on this journey.

I have the chance to buy a 2001 LP Custom 68 reissue in tri burst but a serial number search returns that the guitar was made in 68. Is this right as its a reproduction? Also is it correct that this model would not come with a certificate from the custom shop? Any other guidance and advice in this model would be seriously appreciated along with what I should be looking to pay for this guitar.

Many thanks,

Luke

The search you did sought to decode the serial rather than search a database. The serial numbers on reissues are true to the year they're copying, hence the result.

I believe it's correct that there was no COA in 2001. Someone else will be sure but I think that's right.

Happy hunting!

Edit: Oh, and welcome to the forum!

I believe it's correct that there was no COA in 2001. Someone else will be sure but I think that's right.

Happy hunting!

Diddo...I don't know how familiar you are with Gibson, and where to look for trademark far east counterfeiting, but if you are fuzzy on the whole subject, it sometimes helps to take someone with you if that's a possibility.

I am new to the forum as well. I have a few gibson guitars and all but 1 I have ever owned are LP, I also have a SG junior which is a great instrument, and love it as well, but that is my understanding of 01.

Archived