Gibson Brands Forums: QUESTION ABOUT THE SPECS OF STR8 150 - Gibson Brands Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

QUESTION ABOUT THE SPECS OF STR8 150 SPECS

#1 User is offline   DJ KAYOSS 

• Group: Members

Posted 29 December 2015 - 06:10 PM

Hello....I have purchased 2 str8 150's and am a newbie to the tables....Little confused about the specs where it says "Tracking force range 0-3" and "Needle pressure range 2-5"..How do you adjust the tracking force rang? Is that with the dial on the counterweight being set with the needle specs after it is balanced....Sooo confused ..They came shipped with 890 fs needles contrary to what the setup guide says because that says they come with 500 v3 stylus's but there are 890's on them and I read that 890 fs can be either spherical or elliptical stylus so I really don't know what I even have on these brand new turntables which is very frustrating after spending a grand on em..If someone can briefly explain to me tracking force range and how to set it and what needle pressure range and where to apply that I would be grateful for the help...Thank U

#2 User is offline   blazi 

Posted 07 January 2016 - 05:03 PM

Hi, I don't want to do mess so I'll my simple question here:
Does this TT have an ANTISCATE regulation?
http://medias.audiof...-150-392505.jpg
I've bought them secondhand. I had some needle skipping issues, so I was considering bad AS settings.
Although the AS Ring is some kind of "fake" for me: it has no scale on it (like that one in the picture) but it turns.
So do my Stantons str8 150 have AS? If yes, how easily can I check if it is working at all (or even properly)?
Thanks for help in advance.

#3 User is offline   razorhack 

Posted 08 January 2016 - 05:40 PM

View PostDJ KAYOSS, on 29 December 2015 - 06:10 PM, said:

They came shipped with 890 fs needles contrary to what the setup guide says because that says they come with 500 v3 stylus's

Be glad you at least got a Stanton cartridge. I just purchased a new in the box T.92 USB that was also suppose to come with a 500.V3 cartridge. However, the cartridge on the T.92 is not 500.V3 nor does it appear to even be a Stanton cartridge. :-(

Attached File  IMG_0061_2.jpg (498.83K)
Number of downloads: 1

There's a thread over on vinylengine.com that seems to suggest that Stanton might be getting out of the cartridge game. In addition, a number of online vinyl equipment dealers are out of stock with Stanton cartridges and some say 'discontinued'. So, if you really want that Stanton cartridge, you may have to head to eBay and snag one. Original Stanton stylus seem to be still in stock for time being. But if there are no more cartridges, it won't be long before those styli are gone as well.

#4 User is offline   razorhack 

Posted 08 January 2016 - 05:46 PM

View Postblazi, on 07 January 2016 - 05:03 PM, said:

Does this TT have an ANTISCATE regulation?

Yes, it does: http://www.stantondj...s/str8-150.html

It's the little dial next to the base of the tonearm. And should have the words 'Anti-Skating' on it.

#5 User is offline   blazi 

Posted 09 January 2016 - 09:19 AM

I think you're wrong. Even on the picture of the TT you posted there is no ANTISKATE signs on this dial. Looks like an indication that it is not there. I've read it is connected with the construction with a straight tonearm, but I wanted to make sure about it here.

#6 User is offline   razorhack 

Posted 09 January 2016 - 10:50 AM

View Postblazi, on 09 January 2016 - 09:19 AM, said:

I think you're wrong.

Yep, I am. :-(

Looks like ST.150 has the anti-skating dial, but the STR8 version does not. Has a place for one, but there is no dial.

#7 User is offline   DJ KAYOSS 

Posted 09 January 2016 - 10:53 AM

View Postrazorhack, on 09 January 2016 - 10:50 AM, said:

Yep, I am. :-(

Looks like ST.150 has the anti-skating dial, but the STR8 version does not. Has a place for one, but there is no dial.

#8 User is offline   razorhack 

Posted 09 January 2016 - 10:57 AM

View Postrazorhack, on 08 January 2016 - 05:40 PM, said:

However, the cartridge on the T.92 is not 500.V3 nor does it appear to even be a Stanton cartridge. :-(

The folks over at vinylengine.com did help me identify the cartridge. It's an AT91 from another manufacture besides Stanton who also makes turntables. Disappointed to say the least that Stanton has had to go to that level. Lots of audiophiles talk about the versatility of the 500 cartridge and the performance.

Maybe someone from Gibson might chime in and let us know how come the cartridges spec'd on the documents, packaging, etc., are not matching what is really being installed. I get that paper documentation is hard to change, but it's not that hard to change a website and the electronic version stored on those sites.

#9 User is offline   DJ KAYOSS 

Posted 09 January 2016 - 10:59 AM

Yea there is no anti skate for these tables...Took alot of research on my own to find this out after placing 3 calls and 2 emails to stanton with no reply...And watch what stylus are on them because its not what it says...and can anyone explain why it says on the specs that the tracking force is 0-3 and needle pressure is 2-5...So many contradictions with the manual the specs and the tables that I received brand new from guitar center...and stanton/gibsons customer service is garbage

#10 User is offline   DJ KAYOSS 

Posted 09 January 2016 - 11:07 AM

Your soooo right razorhack and to take them back is just a pain in the ***...There are other forums where people speak of the contradictions as well...You buy one thing and get something totally different and we just have to accept it...Read the specs on the tables as well because it says tracking force range 0-3 and needle pressure range 2-5...whats the difference between them both and how do set them both...I have mine running pretty good after a ton of reading and watching you tube vids...Like I stated before Stanton/Gibsons customer service is garbage..I left 3 voice mail messages with them with no reply and got hung up on 2 times during the transfer procedure...I figure they at least owe me headshells with stylus that match the instructions...What a joke

#11 User is offline   razorhack 

Posted 16 January 2016 - 11:19 AM

Yo' Stanton!

Now some poor soul is trying to pass your Audio Technica cartridge swap on your new turntables as a Stanton 500 cartridge on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/...-/301846478685?

Seriously, update you're website.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users