Gibson Brands Forums

Best Tubes for Authentic Gibson 70's Rock

JayinLA

On a friends advice, I am purchasing a Bugera Infinium Tri-Rec 100 watt head. I tried his and am absolutely flabbergasted at the price point. (Closer to $500 than $1000) and the quality of amp and features. The Infinium bit refers to the self biasing system that supposedly extends valve life and allows you to mix and match not only unmatched sets of tubes, but different tubes and a combination of them.

The Tri-Rec of course, referrs to the rectifiers. There is an all-tube warm sounding rectifier mode, a silicone diode type rectifier or a mode that uses both. With all these features in a foot-switchable 3 channel amp and a "varipower" nob that allows you to dial in on the front any wattage from 1 to 100, I simply am not passing up the chance to buy one. (after playing with this amp I am convinced that if it doesn't go well for Bugera, there may never be an amp handwired, with these kind of features for the price point) I decided to pull the trigger on this tone beast and see what I can create with the ability to run any combination of EL34's, 6L6's, EL84's or any variety of other tubes even in combination with one another to acheive a tone all to itself.

So I wanted to put forth a discussion on the forum of what tubes or combination of tubes would give the best Angus Young, or Joe Walsh sound or whatever sound you may be achieving that you love. For me, it's Funk 49 and the entire Back in Black record, or Paraniod by Sabbath than is fuzzy with bottom, and tight enough to hear each string cut through the mix in a gig. With this pallette of tube choices, rectifier choices and 100 watts behind me, I feel like I can play any gig, with any band, achieve any sound with almost no effects loop at all, though a wah and delay will be running on my efx loop.

I am anxious to hear the tone freaks out there and what their opinion is....trust me, this amp is the real thing from clean to bright-clean to crunchy with or without top end bite to more british than Iron Maiden, and it's all self biasing DIY on the valves.

Sounds like a fun amp to have.

Of corse you know, what tubes work with what speakers is different for every amp.

One thing I have noticed, is lower powered amps with lower powered speakers let you get the REAL good sound. Of corse, there are plenty of times where high powered speakers work good too.

Said that to say, is that at a lower powered setting, lower powered speakers might work best, but won't let you put more power without blowing the speaker. Something to think about.

Archived