Gibson Brands Forums

"What a Wonderful World"/(Somewhere) Over the Rainbow"

QuestionMark

Ooops. Duplicate post. Must have clicked twice when I posted the other one.

New year's day 2016...seemed like a good time to reflect, think about how my kids are grown, and record my guitar solo instrumental arrangement of "What a Wonderful World/(Somewhere) Over the Rainbow". Hope you enjoy. (The guitar I am playing is an Angelica classical guitar. Seemed to fit the song.)-QM aka "Jazzman" Jeff

Click here:

Great stuff. Maybe you could point us all in the direction of a few useful (easy) jazz chords

One that I use throughout the song is simply barring the E,B,G,D strings (1st through 4th strings) with my left hand's second finger in various positions up the neck rather than hitting an individual note on the first string. For example, rather than just fretting the 8th fret on the 1st string for a higher octave C note, I instead bar the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th string with my left hand's second finger at the 10th fret and lightly strumming all four strings together, focusing on accenting the 1st string's D note (so the D is still the domineering pitch that rings out with the other notes I'm hitting on the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th string, also fretted at the 10th fret.) I also do the same in various other places on the fret board in place of individual notes. (ie. On the eighth fret, I use it to take the place of a C note on the first string.)

I don't worry so much in my playing as to whether something is a proper chord shape of any kind, but rather the sound it produces.

In the case of this fretting structure, I try to go for kind of a Brazilian sound or a Brazilian coloring to a tone I'm making.

How did I come up with the structure. Years ago, I thought it would be cool to try a 4 and a 5 string banjo's open tuning barre chord up and down the neck of a guitar with the guitar tuned to standard tuning. Found it had some interesting music colorings.

Basically, that's how I play guitar, trying continually increase what I call my guitar vocabulary by trying different things and trying to play things a bit differently when I can...all part of my still going 50 year exploration of the instrument.

Hope what I just provided helps your exploration. Fun stuff!

QM aka "Jazzman" Jeff

Mick I like these movable shapes: C9 - x32333 obviously the A string is the root note - and the same but a string down - xx3233 also love the maj7 - Cmaj7 335453 and the same chord with the bass up a note x4545x as well as this one xx1212 - all movable

• 2 weeks later...

Archived