Gibson Brands Forums

L5 tailpiece question

Chordguy

The engraving on the L-5 tailpiece has varied greatly through the years, and in some eras almost from instrument to instrument.

There was also a period when the "L5" was on the insert, not the tailpiece itself. Yours could be one of those that was changed over to the "Wes" insert.

I might be able to give your more info with a couple of good photos. Please include the back of the tailpiece if possible.

My Wes Monts don't have the L5 engraved either.. these tailpieces are used for other Gibson Guitars.. so I would guess inserts are cheaper to add name designations too..( e.g.;L4) Tal Farlow.( Gold Plated on request ) . , as so on..

The engraving on yours is similar to my 1990. As you can see in this photo of mine, the "L5" is on the insert, with MOP inlayed into a piece of ebony. There is no "L5" engraved on the tailpiece itself.

2956909899_965d356920_o.jpg

As I said above, there are so many variations of the engraving on the L5 tailpiece through the years, and as there is a "normal", or "standard" configuration, there are MANY variations. Do a google image search of "Gibson L5 Tailpiece", and you won't believe how many different variants come up.

When I bought mine, I was a little disappointed it did not have the "standard" tailpiece configuration with the silver insert, but the guitar was way too nice to pass up for that reason alone. I came to find out that around 1990, for whatever reason, Jim Hutchins at the Custom Shop did a batch of L-5CES with the ebony/MOP inserts instead of the traditional silver.

It IS one of those things that does KINDA bother me...... so last fall I commissioned a silversmith to craft me a silver engraved art-deco insert. I've only seen sketches to this point, but I hope to see the silver work shortly.

Archived