Gibson Brands Forums

Advice on Gibson Hawk - caps and output tran

MrMojoRison

Hi all, I'm new here and I tried using the search for help but couldnt find much.

I've found this Hawk GA 25RVT. (6V6 version w/ 15" 8 ohm) When turned on the jewel lights up and all the tubes light up but the amp is dead silent. Passes no signal. So i pulled the output transformer and it has a failed primary. So I'm looking at getting a new one of those. But while I'm doing that I figure I should probably do the caps too. They look good and hold juice (i had to discharge them). S

Is there a good resource out there that can explain to me how to test these caps and where can I find replacements. This is the first amp I've ever torn into so anything helps.

It would be nice to get the transformer and caps from the same place.

Also, i was told that if i dont replace the caps and put a new transformer in it a faulty cap could fry the transformer. True?

Again, I'm new to this whole thing so your patience is appreciated.

Thanks

Jake

You'll want to replace the electrolytic caps if they're more than about 10 years old. Don't bother trying to test the caps. It's very complicated and that's not what's normally done. Just replace them. Amplified Parts has most stuff.

As far as the power xfmr goes, Mercury Magnetics makes one in their ToneClone line that lists for $197. Call Patrick Selfridge at Mercury Magnetics. See here - http://www.mercurymagnetics.com/pages/mainframe.htm

I didn't see any made by Classic Tone. I didn't see any at Mojotone, Allen Amplification, Amplified Parts or anywhere else.

If you have any other questions, ask here or on Facebook at Tennessee Amplifier

Thanks everyone.

The old caps are RCA 15uF 450V. They are the kind that are in a paper tube opposing each other. 2 tubes, 4 caps in total. I was referred to triodeelectronics.com and found some sprague 16uF 475V caps. They don't look the same as the originals but have (from what I understand) acceptable values.

http://www.triodeelectronics.com/16uf450sprag.html

As for the output transformer. Yeah I saw that one at mercury magnetics but man thats a lot of dough! You would think there would be an alternative out there somewhere.

The search continues and thanks for the help and guidance.

cheers

post-76181-041431200 1452283307_thumb.jpg

post-76181-081606800 1452283320_thumb.jpg

post-76181-079159400 1452283334_thumb.jpg

You'll want to replace the electrolytic caps if they're more than about 10 years old. Don't bother trying to test the caps. It's very complicated and that's not what's normally done. Just replace them. Amplified Parts has most stuff.

As far as the power xfmr goes, Mercury Magnetics makes one in their ToneClone line that lists for $197. Call Patrick Selfridge at Mercury Magnetics. See here - http://www.mercurymagnetics.com/pages/mainframe.htm

I didn't see any made by Classic Tone. I didn't see any at Mojotone, Allen Amplification, Amplified Parts or anywhere else.

If you have any other questions, ask here or on Facebook at Tennessee Amplifier

thanks! looks like I'll be buying from Amplified Parts. They have everything I need and in stock.

Thanks everyone.

The old caps are RCA 15uF 450V. They are the kind that are in a paper tube opposing each other. 2 tubes, 4 caps in total. I was referred to triodeelectronics.com and found some sprague 16uF 475V caps. They don't look the same as the originals but have (from what I understand) acceptable values.

http://www.triodeelectronics.com/16uf450sprag.html

As for the output transformer. Yeah I saw that one at mercury magnetics but man thats a lot of dough! You would think there would be an alternative out there somewhere.

The search continues and thanks for the help and guidance.

cheers

That cap looks like a "firecracker" cap. Amplified Parts has some of those. HERE. I'm not sure if they have what you need.

You can use the existing mountin clip or use zip ties to hold them.

And the output transformer looks like it's from 1963.

That cap looks like a "firecracker" cap. Amplified Parts has some of those. HERE. I'm not sure if they have what you need.

You can use the existing mountin clip or use zip ties to hold them.

And the output transformer looks like it's from 1963.

I dont see any of the firecracker style that are close to the values that I need. Whats in that photo is the cardboard housing that have two caps inside of it. They are butted up to each other and then wrapped in that paper tube. so they are two separate caps. I was thinking I could go with something like this.

https://www.amplifiedparts.com/products/C-ET16-475-FT

They are a different style but the values are almost spot on. I would have to be a little creative with the mounting.

Any reason I couldnt go this route?

I dont see any of the firecracker style that are close to the values that I need. Whats in that photo is the cardboard housing that have two caps inside of it. They are butted up to each other and then wrapped in that paper tube. so they are two separate caps. I was thinking I could go with something like this.

https://www.amplifiedparts.com/products/C-ET16-475-FT

They are a different style but the values are almost spot on. I would have to be a little creative with the mounting.

Any reason I couldnt go this route?

That looks good! [thumbup] I'm not sure how the caps are grounded in there but if you could separate the grounds from the different caps so that they are "star grounded" or, better yet, grounded to different independent locations, then the amp will be a little quieter.

Archived