Gibson Brands Forums

2016 SG special 70's tribute PG replacement

jaygl

Hey all, I have yet another question about this model. Will this PG fit it?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Pickguard-For-Gibson-SG-Special-60s-70s-Tribute-Guitar-5-PLY-BLACK-/331106332260

It says it's for P90's equipped guitar, but the 2016 SG 70's trib can have P90's fitted. The space between the neck PUP and fret board looks smaller on the replacement when I compare it to the pic of the 2016 SG...maybe it's just the angle? Gonna be getting one of the new 70's trib SG's soon, and just not a fan of a single ply PG on it....

• 2 weeks later...

don't forget www.pickguardian.com

this outfit makes pickguards for SGs that have none... so I'm sure they can make

one for you.

Me, I made my own out of a piece of Ebony headstock veneer from StewMac.

http://www.stewmac.com/Materials_and_Supplies/Bodies_and_Necks_and_Wood/Acoustic_Guitar_Wood/Braces_and_Blocks_and_Blanks_for_Acoustic_Guitar/Peghead_Overlay_Veneer.html

I bought the 4x8 sheet, traced the stock pickguard from my 2012 SG special '70s tribute...

cut it out with a sharp hand saw, bevelled the edges with a dremel tool and hand files,

sanded it down to 600 grit and finished it with tung oil. Tung oil finish is great because

if I scratch it, I just rub out the scratch with steel wool or more 600 grit, and then rub in some

more tung oil. disappearo...

I've done this twice now so far, and love the results. My second one was for my 2014 Epi ES-339 P-90 pro.

To me eye, and ebony pickguard is a very subtle upgrade, but it looks and feels so much better than any

piece of plastic, I'm glad I followed through on the impulse.

From a distance, no one would notice or care. But if I put my guitar in the hands of a knowledgeable player

I can see their eyebrows go up. And when I play myself, it's with the satisfaction of knowing I'm touching something

I made myself out of wood.

Archived