Gibson Brands Forums

Spirit GT Pro Deluxe

Al Thompson

I've had a Spirit GT Pro Deluxe for a few years, and finally decided to swap out the stock pickups. The stock HSH pickups were low output, and sounded kind of lifeless.

For the humbuckers, I chose Dimarzio Transitions in neck and bridge positions, and I'm really happy with them so far. Meaty, with plenty of "grunt" if you dig into the strings. I've still got the stock single coil, and need to replace it as well with something that will be a good match. However, most of the "strat" size pickups have a triangular flange on the base which means they won't fit in the GT Pro. The only pickups I've found which will physically fit are Lace, and EMG, neither of which is going to do what I want.

Does anyone have any good suggestions for the middle pickup?? I'm open to either single coil, or single-coil-sized humbucker, as long as it would match the output and general tone of the Transitions. Preferably something that's easily available (NOT special order with a 6 month lead time).

I've been thinking strongly of going with Carvin pickups for both my Spirit GT Pro and Hohner G2T. I want to go with the covers to maintain the original look but they also sound fantastic.

http://www.carvinguitars.com/group/single_coil_twinblade_pickups

Check them out and see if they will work for you. The link above is just for single coil and mini hum since you already have your 2 humbuckers.

Marvin

I've been thinking strongly of going with Carvin pickups for both my Spirit GT Pro and Hohner G2T. I want to go with the covers to maintain the original look but they also sound fantastic.

http://www.carvinguitars.com/group/single_coil_twinblade_pickups

Check them out and see if they will work for you. The link above is just for single coil and mini hum since you already have your 2 humbuckers.

Marvin

I'm leary of ordering a Carvin pickup, for the simple reason that I've never heard one, and have no idea what they sound like, nor how they compare to anything else. I know that I don't want Lace or EMG simply because I've been able to find some and give them a listen.

• 4 years later...

I the same issue – I have bought DiMarzio Transitions for neck and bridge, and because of the size limitation in the middle pickup position of the Steinberger, I am looking into the DiMarzio Area T Neck (DP 417). This pickup is a single coil Telecaster-style for neck position, it's noiseless and would fit in the middle (HSH) space of the Steinberger Spirit GT pro. Has anyone any experience using a Tele pickup in the middle position? Thank you