Gibson Brands Forums

GIbson SG Xtra slim - dead spots

Dejan

Hello Dejan, and welcome here.

Most of my guitars have several dull notes including three of my SGs, and some have dead notes with the fourth of my SGs affected. Most of these are by design, that is all guitars of the same model have extremely similar dull or dead spots. Les Paul, SG, Stratocaster and Telecaster guitars differ just about +/- one half step when compared to some of same build, even including comparisons between Gibson and Epiphone models!

Another point can be string action. An inaudible (!) fret buzz may already cause dead notes. During the latest about six weeks I accidentally cured most of the dead notes in my guitar arsenal by increasing string height to that of typical steel-string acoustic guitars. It came as some surprise since I hadn't expected that. A bandmate in a cover band, professional player and a wizard on any guitar, had made me aware of the string height point last October. He also had told me then that Stevie Ray Vaughan knew and Joe Bonamassa knows that any good guitar tone needs sufficient action. Man, my pal was right!

It's also possible that the truss rod adjustment needs a refinement, too. A lack of neck relief may cause dead spots by fretting out certain notes although all the fret heights are fine.

Hope this helps.

Archived