Gibson Brands Forums

CS-356 - Custom Shop Headstock Logo

StevesPad

Hi All. I've just rejoined the forum after a few years away. Glad to be back! I have a 2002 CS-356 in honey burst finish ... the one in my avatar. I've not seen another neck/headstock like this one though. It's a 50's style large neck profile with split trapezoid inlays and the round 'Custom Shop' logo on the headstock. Would this have been a custom order? Any information would be much appreciated. Thanks!

cs356-4.jpg

cs356-2.jpg

I never saw any of these in person, but there have been at least the Les Paul Catalina guitars made in the 1990's featuring this inlay:

catalina2.jpg

lnygknzlifwblqboztgj.jpg

I'm not sure but think there have been some other models from the early 2000's that came with it.

Possibly a custom order although that logo was used regularly by the Custom Shop. It was used on a lot of the CS-XXX models. CS-336, CS-356, etc. But still there are not a lot of them out there.

Thanks for the comments capmaster and CR9. I wonder how much the heavier 50's neck changes tonal character and/or sustain? It would be interesting to do a comparison with another similar 356 with a slim neck profile. Either way it's a great guitar ... it plays and sounds wonderful.

Guest Farnsbarns

No,sorry, you said you were a member years ago. We used to have a guy called Steve who periodically changed his name to all sorts of silly and topical things. He mainly went by S T E V E, SteveJoshlay, troll or trollboy. I can see my post was too easily misunderstood, almost inevitably actually. My apologies.

Anyway, you're obviously not him.

• 4 weeks later...

No worries Farns, thanks. So back to my CS-356 with the fat 50's neck ... anyone else have one? This thing has some great tones. I'll have to post some clips.

I just picked up a 2010 CS-336 in a trade. It's an ebony plain top also with what I believe to be a fat 50's neck. This appears to be a bit unusual as the spec on the 336 and 356 is a "60's slim neck" and this is definitely a big neck. My guitar has JM Rolph '59 pickups in it and it sounds like the most badass Les Paul you've ever heard. I'm really surprised these guitars didn't catch on in a bigger way; there's very little info out there and no info on 50's neck vs. 60's neck on these models. I guess most people are traditionalists and want a Les Paul or a 335 - not something in between.

a3a3ae8ea1f444317782a80320c7aee6_zpspvzpuvr2.jpg

4e43b17c5f0697e9e14e4157f7ffc431_zpszbf7w5kc.jpg[/url]

Archived