Gibson Brands Forums

is this vintage guitar legit?

wyatt earp

Looks clearly legit to me. The price is well within the ballpark when comparing several of them similar to this one on the web for sale or sold here in Germany.

My only concern is that the colour is remarkably darker and deeper around the peghead/neck transition. It could be that the peghead was snapped off one day and repaired. This repair could have been made invisible on principal so that the seller doesn't even know. Perhaps I'm hypersensitive, and the colour is that way stock, but a neck repair would drop the value about 50%. Just saying... :unsure:

Looks fine to me.

I note Cap's concerns but I think the neck/p'head transition is perfectly OK.

If you really want an old guitar then that one seems a good bet.

Proper Pat No's are a plus point.

Just personally I've never been a huge fan of the Batwing Standards for several reasons but that's just me. If you like them then I'd say go for it.

What have you got to lose?

Even if, after a while, you decide you don't like it you are hardly likely to lose money if you get it for that price.

Pip.

...My only concern is that the colour is remarkably darker and deeper around the peghead/neck transition. It could be that the peghead was snapped off one day and repaired. /quote]

I see a funny reflection/line around the bass side of the neck/headstock area in the bottom photo #5. Could be nothing, but.....

I would inquire/investigate/inspect about the headstock area for a repair. IF..... the headstock has been snapped off and repaired, it's worth about 50% of standard market value of an un-repaired version.

Here's a similar era SG Standard with no break, but refinished. The same 50% deduct applies to a re-fin. This one sold for $1850.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1970-1971-Gibson-SG-Standard-Electric-Guitar-/191735087068?hash=item2ca44d3fdc:g:P5kAAOSwT5tWQOPJ

Here's a similar era SG Standard with no break, but refinished. The same 50% deduct applies to a re-fin. This one sold for $1850.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1970-1971-Gibson-SG-Standard-Electric-Guitar-/191735087068?hash=item2ca44d3fdc:g:P5kAAOSwT5tWQOPJ

[scared] That pickguard is poorly aligned to the neck, and the neck pickup with it. [thumbdn]

Looks fine to me.

I note Cap's concerns but I think the neck/p'head transition is perfectly OK.

If you really want an old guitar then that one seems a good bet.

Proper Pat No's are a plus point.

Just personally I've never been a huge fan of the Batwing Standards for several reasons but that's just me. If you like them then I'd say go for it.

What have you got to lose?

Even if, after a while, you decide you don't like it you are hardly likely to lose money if you get it for that price.

Pip.

Why don't you like batwing standards? Just curious. I swing both ways :)

The batwing pickguards are not my cup of tea, too. It's a personal preference. No pickguard at all is best, but some guitars can't do without due to construction like nine of my ten Fenders. My Gibson L6Ses belong here, too, as well as the Frank Zappa "Roxy" SGs. One of my four SGs and five of my six LPs came without, and I put up with the single LP pickguard since I find screw holes more evil. Furthermore, I don't notice it when playing, so it doesn't really matter.

My dislike against screw holes is also valid for all the other guitars and basses where the pickguards neither hide routings nor bear controls or switches. I just leave them there and don't deign to look at them [scared]

[flapper][biggrin]

I think the color discontinuity in the neck is just the change in the endgrain in the transition area. The exposed endgrain will always apear darker in mahogany. Maple necks tend not to be so dark. Look's like a great guitar to me.

GuitarsAnn

I'm on the prowl to buy my first vintage SG. I found a candidate on ebay. Just want you experts to scope it out for me. See if there are any red flags. And see if the price is right. Thanks! http://m.ebay.com/itm/1969-1970-Gibson-SG-Standard-Heritage-Cherry-CLEAN-Vintage-Guitar-Les-Paul-/131698771164?nav=SEARCH

Listing ended. Anything to report?

Archived