Gibson Brands Forums

ES-175 Premium - the bridge rosewood base position

archtalk

Hello! Just received my first hollow body yesterday, the ES-175 Premium Wine Red, which looks amazing. You can check a couple of photos on imgur http://imgur.com/a/WL0VQ

While inspecting it, I noticed (first pic) that the the middle of the bridge's rosewood base does not completely touch the top of the guitar. I looks a bit arched. I am not sure if that is the right position, but I would suspect that a full contact would provide a fuller sound.

So, is this normal or should I do something about it?

Thanks!

Yes, the optimum situation is for the base to sit in full and even contact with the soundboard.

It looks from the photo that you have enough thickness at the edges (especially the bass side) to do some sanding. I would work from the bass side and carefully start sanding the proper contour to the bottom of the bridge base.

Ok, that's reassuring, thanks for your reply. I'll probably take it for a full setup, but it's always better to know exactly what you're asking for.

Yes, the optimum situation is for the base to sit in full and even contact with the soundboard.

It looks from the photo that you have enough thickness at the edges (especially the bass side) to do some sanding. I would work from the bass side and carefully start sanding the proper contour to the bottom of the bridge bass.

It looks from the photo that you have enough thickness at the edges (especially the bass side) to do some sanding. I would work from the bass side and carefully start sanding the proper contour to the bottom of the bridge bass.

Hold a piece of sandpaper (abrasive side up --- say 180 grit) over the spot on the top of the guitar where the bridge will rest. Then rub the bridge base over the sandpaper until the high spots are sanded down. You should then have a perfect match to the contour of the top.

What a beauty! Thanks for the informing photos, it does look like mine needs some sanding.

Hi, got mine yesterday. [thumbup] Ordered on Sunday on richtone music's eBay site, arrived on wednesday (germany). Take a look, it's so beautiful and the piece of rosewood underneath the bridge is ok on mine. Photos here

Thanks for the tip, it makes total sense to do it like that and sounds like something I could do on my own. When I first noticed it, I was sure that it's a luthier's job.

Hold a piece of sandpaper (abrasive side up --- say 180 grit) over the spot on the top of the guitar where the bridge will rest. Then rub the bridge base over the sandpaper until the high spots are sanded down. You should then have a perfect match to the contour of the top.

Keep in mind, you have to be careful not to damage the top on the guitar when sanding the bridge "in place". It's easy to get carried away and not notice. The back of most sandpaper is somewhat abrasive as well.

Sanding the bridge with sandpaper on the top of the guitar should only be final sanding. It's a good idea to get it as close as possible before you do it. The one in the pic here, I would be starting out like Larry says.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived