Gibson Brands Forums

Wiring Help Please

Mike_L

Need some help folks.

One of my pots went bad and I decided I wanted to try rewiring my 2014 Traditional to 50s style wiring. I followed everything to a T. However, when I plug the guitar in, there is no sound whatsoever, unless I touch the pickup switch. Then I get a slight hum. If I continue to touch the switch and then try to touch the strings, I can hear a slight static sound with each string I touch. I'm thinking some sort of grounding issue. Bridge ground is connected to neck volume pot.

I've ohm'd the grounds and they check good. I used shielded wiring throughout (except at switch ground, which is cloth insulated). After I took the pic, I added the heat shrink to the switch to jack lead but it didn't make any difference.

Any ideas?

Traditional%20New%20Wiring_zps3jixxwhn.jpg

As next I would connect a guitar cable to the output jack and an ohmmeter set to an appropriate range to it's second plug. With the volume pots cranked up all the way, the readings should be according to the selected toggle switch position neck pickup, both pickups in parallel, and bridge pickup, i. e. around 8 kOhms, 4 kOhms, and 8 kOhms.

I don't remember the wiring schematic/layout by heart, but experience tells me that it's likely you got something wrong that you overlooked. Sometimes, being extremely careful makes it easy to overlook the obvious.

Judging by what you describe, it seems to me you have a hot or a ground wire connected where it shouldn't be. That would make the whole circuit a short and nothing would work at all.

• 2 weeks later...

Need some help folks.

One of my pots went bad and I decided I wanted to try rewiring my 2014 Traditional to 50s style wiring. I followed everything to a T. However, when I plug the guitar in, there is no sound whatsoever, unless I touch the pickup switch. Then I get a slight hum. If I continue to touch the switch and then try to touch the strings, I can hear a slight static sound with each string I touch. I'm thinking some sort of grounding issue. Bridge ground is connected to neck volume pot.

I've ohm'd the grounds and they check good. I used shielded wiring throughout (except at switch ground, which is cloth insulated). After I took the pic, I added the heat shrink to the switch to jack lead but it didn't make any difference.

Any ideas?

Traditional%20New%20Wiring_zps3jixxwhn.jpg

While you're at it I would ground all of those braided wires to the back of the pots. Also if those capacitors aren't new or even if they are I would put an ohm-meter across them to check for leakage. Cheers, Mike

While you're at it I would ground all of those braided wires to the back of the pots. Also if those capacitors aren't new or even if they are I would put an ohm-meter across them to check for leakage. Cheers, Mike

They are- see the 2 on each volume pot? Note also he has black cloth wires for the ground connecting the backs?

They are- see the 2 on each volume pot? Note also he has black cloth wires for the ground connecting the backs?

Hi, I did see where some of the braided shields are grounded but I think that a better job could have been done which will any fault tracing easier if the need arises. Good soldering and lead dress skills are invaluable if other guitar wiring projects are contemplated.

Hi, I did see where some of the braided shields are grounded but I think that a better job could have been done which will make any fault tracing easier if the need arises. Good soldering and lead dress skills are invaluable if other guitar wiring projects are contemplated.

Archived