Gibson Brands Forums

P-90 quick-connect to standard pots question

Greg_L

Hello, first post.

I have a Gibson SG 70s Tribute with stock mini-humbuckers. I really like the mini-hums, but I've been intrigued with dropping a P-90 in there since I got the guitar. A P-90 SG has always been on my wish list, but the right deal never materialized. Anyway...

I found a sweet deal on a bridge P-90 out of a Les Paul 50s Tribute so I jumped on it. The problem is...it's one of those goofy quick-connect pickups and my SG has standard wiring. I want to chop the connector off the pickup and just wire it up normally.

So I'm looking at this pickup and it has 5 wires (red, white, green, black, and black) on a pickup that would normally have two. No problem, upon further inspection, two of the wires (red and black) aren't connected to anything. They chop off at the baseplate. Apparently Gibson must just have a giant box of pre-wired connectors and they only use the wires as needed. The second black wire is soldered to the baseplate. The white and green appear to be coil wires and measure about 7.9k across them. That seems about right for a P-90.

I'm assuming that these white and green wires are what I'll use, correct? Connect one to hot at the pot and ground the other with the one usable black wire? Ignore the chopped off red an black wires? That's what I'm thinking. Correct me if I'm wrong, please. Thanks.

Archived