Gibson Brands Forums

2015 LP Deluxe - Cracked Paint Pelham

monabri

Bought via Amazon in November 15. Used a little (a couple or hours max). Hung on the wall of my "music room" (!) when not in use. Curtains of the room drawn and it has not exactly been hot weather in the last 3 months!

In January 16 I noticed that 4 longitudinal cracks were developing in the Pelham Blue Laminate top - despite being stored in a moderate climate (England in Winter). All cracks were longitudinal and were in 2 groups of two - running under the volume pots.

(As the LP Deluxe was "parked" next to my LP Traditional on the wall I inspected the Traditional for cracks but that was fine).

I've come to the conclusion that the thin PB lacquer is not very good if it doesn't last more than 3 months!

The guitar has not left the room (not even for a few minutes) and has not been "exposed" to any temperature changes.

Well, this has fixed my views on Gibson guitars - fortunately Amazon will let me return it - I won't be replacing it!!

"Prestige, Quality and Innovation" - nah!

Thanks for letting us know. As your Traditional is ok seems likely it was Amazon.

You will be pleased to know that I have not had any issues at all with any of my Gibbo's. Do you have a cat perchance? Little rascals.

No we are a CFZ (cat free zone). The guitar has travelled no more than 10 feet from its wall mount since I bought it new - so, it cracked on its own whilst hanging from the wall. It lasted two and a half months! There has been no direct sun on it (the room it is in has blinds and the curtains are always closed). I really liked this guitar - the tone and the colour but sadly it is going back and I will never buy another Gibbo.

Here's a picture!

http://imgur.com/Pe0WN5M

http://i.imgur.com/Pe0WN5M.jpg

The cracks go under the volume pots and also around the boost switch which makes me think that the cap has flexed - why would it do this, where is the glue behind the cap to stop it flexing?

Pe0WN5M.jpg

The cracks go under the volume pots and also around the boost switch which makes me think that the cap has flexed - why would it do this, where is the glue behind the cap to stop it flexing?

This looks poor indeed. :(

I think it has rather to do with clear coat shrinkage than changes of the maple top. I'm not sure if this problem is more likely with metallic finish underneath, but some moons ago Bence aka btoth76 posted a pic of similar cracks on his L6S 2011 in Silverburst. Mine of same make is fine though.

Anyway, it shouldn't happen, and I would return that guitar, too, although a repair is no big deal for a skilled luthier. If this happened to me after expiration of the return period, I would have it repaired, and my favorite dealer would do this within three years without charge. They are the biggest musical instrument dealer in Europe and operate the largest service and repair center of Europe, too. They even have their own PLEK machine. Once have been the biggest Gibson and Epiphone dealer in Europe, but they obviously disagreed on the 2015 model line, and Gibson didn't renew the contract as of March 2015.

It's all too bad, too sad. [crying]

It's a real shame as I really like this guitar. I got it for a bargain price of just under £900 (although the goldtop has been up for sale at just under £800). I can still get a 2015 in pelham blue but we are talking ~£1200 now.

The guitar came with all the candy/hologram and the signature on the QA paperwork looks remarkably like that one my LP Traditional! It was advertised on Amazon but came from "Amazon Sarl". Anyway, It's going back!!

If it was me I wouldn't store new Gibson out of the case for awhile. Those are shrinkage cracks. The lacquer on the guitar has probably cured too fast for what it could handle. I'd keep the next one in the case most of the time for the first six months or so. [thumbup]

Like with Bence's L6S the cracks seem to start at drill holes. Perhaps controls and switch were mounted too early and too tight for the actual finish age then, and the bushings of Bence's L6S, too. <_<

On all of my new guitars pots, switches and machine heads were a bit loose loose. This is not good in particular for tuning stability, but I learned to live with the fact that I have to wait a certain period until I grab my tools for careful retightening. I keep patient with poly finishes as well. One can never know. :unsure:

Archived